• Show
Clear All

• Need help with a production order

Where it says Model and Body Type...
    It is marked "4H-K5 CONVOY"
    What does this mean?
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Sounds like a shorthand code name for the model and trim Studebaker used.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

We are trying to find out about this 53 because it has a removable hard top! Kind of "crude" but the Previous Owner said it was a prototype!?!?!?!? Don't they all say that when trying to make you believe this car is the rarest of them all and you really need to buy it!
      Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

A removable hard top wasn't an option nor was it a prototype for 1953. You have a very late production 1953 Commander Hardtop Coupe. A desirable car but I would be cautious about buying the car, someone has converted it to a removable hardtop. These cars were known for having weak frames and cutting the top off would only make it worse. I would carefully inspect the frame and body before I bought it. Just my two cents.

Joe
        Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
        We are trying to find out about this 53 because it has a removable hard top! Kind of "crude" but the Previous Owner said it was a prototype!?!?!?!? Don't they all say that when trying to make you believe this car is the rarest of them all and you really need to buy it!
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

You might have a car that has been pictured in the old custom magazines from the fifties.
          I know I have seen one story about a Studebaker that was modified like that. Probably more than one was done.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

My friend, Larry, walked away from this car a year ago. It found him again! This time the price was better. He may brace the frame and finish it like it should have been. Or he may just use it for parts. Time will tell!
            Carey
            Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
              Where it says Model and Body Type...
              It is marked "4H-K5 CONVOY"
              What does this mean?
              That's a new one. Very interesting. It's always a code to sort out, isn't it? It would be interesting if the "conv" part is for a type of convertible top, special ordered. That PO doesn't have the usual extra notes from the engineering department for such a unique car, though. Does the Museum type everything up from the originals on those reproduction POs, or are they exact copies? There were more than a few outside body vendors willing to modify those 53s into drop tops for the buyers' market, so perhaps you have found one of those. That "CONVOY" sure is an interesting term. Studebaker Wheel...have you seen that one?
              Last edited by barnlark; 12-13-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

There were lots of Dealer Convoy driveaway special events where the cars were driven to the Dealerships in Convoy, nothing special about the cars though. Certainly nothing to do with "Convertible".
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't we answer this or a similar question re the codes about once a month? The word next to the model and body type on all production orders is simply the Western Union order code to simplify things for both the factory and dealer. These code names changed with every model year. As noted above for 1953 the code name Convoy applied to a Commander Regal hardtop (Starliner) with overdrive transmission. The chances that this particular car came from the factory with a removable top is, I think, nil. I have a few magazine articles showing such a conversion but they are most certainly not factory. I do know of one unrestored survivor up in Michigan.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you, RQ. I know you may tire of code questions, but it did turn out to be very interesting; at least to me. That Studebaker term, "Hard-Top Conv," for hardtops has left much confusion over the years for some SDC members on its own, but a Western Union order code for the Regal hardtop convertibles (Starliner) with overdrive that year is a good trivia note to remember! As BP would say, COOL BEANS.

Convoy...that's a new one for me...and found directly after the model description on a purchase order. Had it been a driveaway term it usually was found elsewhere on some of those POs, I would have thought. Thanks for clarifying, as always.

One can even say that the Regal Champion hardtop convertibles with OD were the bomb!
                    Last edited by barnlark; 12-13-2010, 03:58 AM.

Comment

This question annually vies for "most asked" with the question about ELEC WINDS on later Production Orders not meaning electric windows, but, rather, electric windshield washers. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah, but what oil should I use...<GGG>

Comment

Wow, Buckley Brothers! That's where we bought our 64 Daytona and 67 Toyota. What a coincidence!

Comment

Working...
                          X