Avanti Decals and Sticker Locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Decals and Sticker Locations

I am interested in seeing photographs of specific locations where decals and stickers are placed on 1963/64 Avanti’s. Locations like under hood, glove box, trunk and inside doors, etc. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks Mike
    Last edited by Silverplate; 12-11-2010, 07:06 AM.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Here's the glove box, I'll look for the underhood pics.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Coincidentally, I need the same.

Allen Barth is just about finished with my 63...we're at the decal stage.
      I also need the location of the "Air Conditioned" sticker.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Battery decal

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

It would be a big help if someone could show where decals/stickers were placed in the door jambs. Thanks.
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
            It would be a big help if someone could show where decals/stickers were placed in the door jambs. Thanks.
            There were no factory stickers or decals on the door jambs.
            Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

The AC decal is placed at the bottom center of the rear glass, up maybe a half inch from the molding. (Unless Fred on the line partied the night before.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Craftsman Decal

The only one I can think of that SOMETIMES was on the Passenger door forward post of '63-'64 Larks, Hawks & Avantis when the Dealer put them on display in the showroom or at the major auto shows, would be the Studebaker Craftsman brushed stainless look decal with black, S.I.'s # 12-003.

There is a Red "Premium Fuel Only" Decal on the Gas Cap of most "R" Series Engined Cars, don't remember what they did with the Lark Types though, I think they were under the cap on the filler flange.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2010, 04:27 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Get a copy of this book. It has all the decal/sticker locations.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by StudeMichael; 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I have a funny factoid about that Craftsman decal. On my Lark it's gingerly placed in the passenger door jamb, nothing new there. But, we have a 64 R1 Avanti Crate engine that the owner had bought from Studebaker for testing Brand X carbs in his shop. The engine was stashed in the corner once they found out they couldn't tune the carbs with it. Anyway, practically everything on the engine was left stock including the Craftsman decal. That decal was not placed in a neat fashion on the passenger valve cover, instead it was slapped on in a diagonal fashion as though they Ok'd the engine, put it on, and hastily sent it out the door . Personally, this is probably the much more correct story of applying that particular decal. The only drawback to that method is it's not the cleaned up version of how Studebaker assembled and decaled the engines .
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

An update to the Avanti decal story. At the 2011 Int meet, I got dinged for no decal on the windshield wiper motor on my 1963 R2 3152. I find no evidence of a sticker on the 10,000 mile car, nor do the detailed pics of the engine bay at 5,000 miles. Correct, incorrect, which decal if any, and where does it go?

They also hit me for no decal on the voltage regulator. It seems somewhere I read that the early cars didn't have them, but I can't find it. Any help?
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jim, as far as I know, there were not any decals on the wiper motor on Avantis. Hawks and Larks, yes, but not the Prestolite wiper motor.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Perhaps one of the problems with judges who have only seen restorers' versions of what these cars were? Original documentation is so hard to find on some of these items and conventional wisdom isn't necessarily the way to determine what is original on these unconventional vehicles. So how does one determine what is original without relying on memories or examples which have been restored?

A similar item was that I was dinged 2 points for the hood latch lever return springs being black rather than yellow. A noted Avanti person has since told me they were black originally, then when problems surfaced with the springs not being strong enough, they switched to a stronger spring which was colored yellow while the part number remained the same. This story seems more likely than the 60 year old original owner with a heart condition deciding they didn't like the yellow springs and desassembling the latch and painting them black.

Don't get me wrong. Judges are doing the best they can. The problem is a lack of documentation, information and original unaltered cars to go by. Even marques with tons of documentation have this problem as most rely on restored examples to show what is correct or noted restorers writing authenticity guides. I certainly don't have the answers. I'm just trying to not change original items on my car which would continue to pollute the misinformation pool. I will change items on this car only when I can find documented reasons to do so and will pass on this documentation to the new owner as well as unchanged items which have been questioned and searched out documented answers as to their originality.
                          Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Stude International has all the decals needed. Seem to remember I have a sheet showing the decals and their location.......Where will have to look. email ltcrp@q.com

Comment

Bez, what say you on the early voltage regulators labelling?
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X