Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56G-W6 or 57G-W6: are there any still around anywhere in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56G-W6 or 57G-W6: are there any still around anywhere in the world?

This model, a Champion 'Regal', was built in limited numbers and never sold in the US, only in Canada and overseas. I have collected French, German and Canadian market ads, but have only two pictures of this car, and both are drawings rather than photos. Here is one:

The W6 Regal is the top picture only, as the others are Deluxes.

From the text of the 57 German ad (not this excerpt), it turns out that the Champion is a President trimmed 4 dr sedan with a short wheelbase and a six instead of a V8. It has those rare and distinctive rear quarter checkmarks instead of 'President' but apparently it used all the other luxury touches and fabrics, and all the power options might have been available. The name 'Regal' was not used on the car. It seems to have been conceived for markets like France and Germany which had high punitive taxes on engine size/V8 engines at the time, and the 185 seems to have been a bit under than the limit.

If anyone has photos, or actually has one of these or knows where one is, I love to hear about it.

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
    This model, a Champion 'Regal', was built in limited numbers and never sold in the US, only in Canada and overseas. I have collected French, German and Canadian market ads, but have only two pictures of this car, and both are drawings rather than photos. Here is one:

The W6 Regal is the top picture only, as the others are Deluxes.

From the text of the 57 German ad (not this excerpt), it turns out that the Champion is a President trimmed 4 dr sedan with a short wheelbase and a six instead of a V8. It has those rare and distinctive rear quarter checkmarks instead of 'President' but apparently it used all the other luxury touches and fabrics, and all the power options might have been available. The name 'Regal' was not used on the car. It seems to have been conceived for markets like France and Germany which had high punitive taxes on engine size/V8 engines at the time, and the 185 seems to have been a bit under than the limit.

If anyone has photos, or actually has one of these or knows where one is, I love to hear about it.
    There is a color photo of one on the back cover of the July, 1997 TW. It has the chrome 'V' or Check-Mark on the rear quarter near where the chrome side trim takes a dip.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
      This model, a Champion 'Regal', was built in limited numbers and never sold in the US, only in Canada and overseas.

It has been several years since my '56-'58 seadn/wagon Registry was started.
      FYI~ This project is on the 'back burner' at present...

Multiple threads here, along with a TW story brought none of that model forward.
      Then again- the response was minimal at best~ 30-40 cars?
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'll get on that search for the 97 Turning wheels.

Wow! only one picture, and its from CUBA? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. My 'clone' will be Glendale Green roof, Turquoise roof pillars, Glendale Green hood/trunk and above the belt line, Turquoise lower body, just like the German drawing. Actually, my 185 OD car is painted that way, but it needs improvement. Nice to see the checkmarks in situ, as the drawings are both somewhat suspect for placement

Seems there should be at least one or two left in Canada, but maybe not. Maybe I should get myself down to Cuba sometime and see if I can find this car, and the 51 Kaiser Vagabond. Rarities both.
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Without seeing the Interior, which must have been pretty impressive, I can't see anything on either the '56 or the '57 Champion W6 that looks like a President, they just look like ordinary Champion or Commanders! The little chrome Check Mark is no big deal, if they were the same as a President, it's funny they have no President Mouldings.
          Just another rare oddity, that if they had advertised it, might have sold 2 or 3 in this Country instead of ONE! Just not a desirable model.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Whoa~ dig the funky hood ornament in that factory photo!!!

StudeDave'57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment