56 Golden Hawk Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Golden Hawk Question

[Of the 4,071 1956 Golden Hawks made how many had automatic transmissions (the majority I guess) and how many had 3 speed transmissions.
    [/SIZE]
    sigpic

Mike Barany

The number probably exists on the 1956 Golden Hawk website.
    Of all of the 1956 Golden Hawks that I have worked on, I only remember one with overdrive.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

According to the "1956 GOLDEN HAWK Authenticity Guide" only 786 of the 4,071 (or about 19%) were built with 3 speed transmissions.

Comment

Technically, Michael, remember: A straight three-speed transmission was not available on 1956 Golden Hawks.

All the stick shift cars had mandatory overdrive. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, I know of one in Rockford Ill. owned by none other than Ron "rusty with oil" Johnson, who IS 100% responsible for me getting into Studebakers back in 1972! His is a 3 spd OD and NO power steering!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            Well, I know of one in Rockford Ill. owned by none other than Ron "rusty with oil" Johnson, who IS 100% responsible for me getting into Studebakers back in 1972! His is a 3 spd OD and NO power steering!

Jim
            From the FWIW Dept.:

Of those 786; 594 were built with 3-Spd O.D. and NO power steering ...only 192 were built WITH power steering!

Comment

Was there an ANNIVERSARY HAWK , or has my mind gone completely off on a wild goose chase?? Seemed like it was around 1955/56 that I saw an ad referring to an anniversary hawk..
              Last edited by benaslopoke; 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                Was there an ANNIVERSARY HAWK , or has my mind gone completely off on a wild goose chase?? Seemed like it was around 1955/56 that I saw an ad referring to an anniversary hawk..
                'Probably the goose chase scenario, Ben; pack a lunch.

There's a chance you may be thinking of the special 1957 Golden Hawk 400 produced with a unique two-tine color combo and special leather interior. Only 51 were ever made, but it was never referred to as an Anniversary Anything.

Nor were any other Hawks, to the best of my knowledge. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What anniversary would they have been celebrating? The first? There was a Golden Hawk 400 which has been written about.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I'm ashamed to admit it Bob, but what year did Studebaker start with wagons and what year did auto production start?? I don't know where I came across that anniversary thing from..

I've got my p.b. & j. sandwichs packed..

Ben

Comment

SpeedsterSpeedsterStarliner model???

Comment

I'm probably wrong, but wasn't the Speedster developed as a "show only" car? that became popular?

Comment

MY 56 GH 6031861 is std/od numbers matching no power,sunglow gold/snowcap white,the car was sold new in Montgomery Ala,and when I bought it from a person in Fl. it was painted ups brown and black,and in need of TLC,
                          Bill Heston
                          56 Golden Hawk

Comment

Bob, do you think Stude anticipated building 400 of those units or was the name just pulled out of the blue? Do you know how many are still in existence as far as anyone knows? Thanks, Dan

Comment

I'm ashamed to admit it Bob, but what year did Studebaker start with wagons and what year did auto production start?? I don't know where I came across that anniversary thing from..

I've got my p.b. & j. sandwichs packed..

Ben
                              1852 and 1902
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X