Question on Studebaker Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Studebaker Emblem

Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a question on an emblem my husband brought home. It looks like wings and has Studebaker in the middle and Chief on the bottom of the emblem. It is not flat, so it could be for the hood. My husband thinks it if for a truck. We have a '50 Studebaker truck so we know it is not for that era truck. Any insight would be appreciated.

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

If you can provide a picture or two of the emblem in question, there is about a 99% chance someone on here can I.D. it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmike View Post
      Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a question on an emblem my husband brought home. It looks like wings and has Studebaker in the middle and Chief on the bottom of the emblem. It is not flat, so it could be for the hood. My husband thinks it if for a truck. We have a '50 Studebaker truck so we know it is not for that era truck. Any insight would be appreciated.
      The late 1930's Studebaker trucks did have a winged ornament on them, and they did have a model called 'Chief', though I was unaware the emblem said that on it. I posted a scan of the 1936 truck folder in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...el-names/page4

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hello dsmike; From your description, you have a grille nameplate for a 1936 Studebaker truck. The 'Chief' was a nominally rated 3-4 ton truck, the largest truck made by Studebaker. This size truck was used for road tractor service, large dump trucks, and box trucks, etc. For the truck nuts, this was the W2 model in the full line of Studebaker trucks.

The 'Chief' was available in several model years, but only the 1936 model had a grill emblem that said so. The first 'Big Chief' appeared in the 1935 truck line, but it did not have ornamentation that said so.

An interesting find.

Frank Drumheller
        Locust Grove, VA
        60S-W6
        M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck, 1948

Comment

Thank you so much! Everyone here is so nice and helpful, not to mention knowledgeable. Here is a picture I just took of the emblem.

Comment

Pretty sure thats off a 30s era truck
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yes, indeed, that's a grille emblem from a 1936 W2 'Chief' 4 ton truck. Mighty scarce, as not many of those big trucks were built.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck, 1948

Comment

Working...
              X