Package Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Package Car

I have been seeing the term "package car" and was wondering what that means. I have a '64 Studebaker GT R-2 Hawk, serial #64V19830, engine #JTSJ305, and the Studebaker National Museum production record copy shows the car is a "37" high performance package R2 with "75" 3.31 axle "R" along with "196" transistor ignition system. Do you think this indicates a package car?

Thanks, Wayne

Originally posted by mccarey View Post
    I have been seeing the term "package car" and was wondering what that means. I have a '64 Studebaker GT R-2 Hawk, serial #64V19830, engine #JTSJ305, and the Studebaker National Museum production record copy shows the car is a "37" high performance package R2 with "75" 3.31 axle "R" along with "196" transistor ignition system. Do you think this indicates a package car?

Thanks, Wayne
    Wayne, the High Performance Package is what people are referring to when they talk about a "Package Car". Yours sounds terrific! What color is it? Vinyl top? That's a really high serial no. too. The last V8 Studebaker built in the U.S. (not counting Avantis which were built for another week or so), is serial 64V-20202. The last production day for Lark-types and Hawks in South Bend was Friday, December 20, 1963.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Do you think this indicates a package car?

Thanks, Wayne
      Yes; yours is a "package car." BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A bit of ancient history - when the "package" was introduced, I ask an S-P southern zone manager about it. He said words to this effect, "We had been adding performance parts a few at a time and making them optional on all the cars. Hardly any customers and even a lot of dealers didn't know how to write up a good car. We'd get orders for cars with the supercharger, but without Twin Traction and disc brakes. Finally, someone who cared about the cars and the customers said, 'Let's put this all together in a package, so it will be the best car we know how to build.'"

Then, of course, to make sure they never sold any, some sharp bean counter made the package price way higher than it should have been. Same zone manager told me, "Engines, transmissions, rear axles, springs, brakes, all cost us about the same to make, buy, install. There is no reason, other than pig-headed determination to screw the customer the performance options should cost that much. The supercharger is the only part which really costs us extra!"

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Package Car

Thanks. According to my records it has the original engine, and I can trace the car back to its original owner. It is black (original color) with a white vinyl top. My records show it left the factory on December 19, 1963. It's a beauty. Here's a photo. Thanks again. Wayne
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting to know this car after buying it in November of last year.

Comment

Dude, that's gorgeous - that's a man's car! Good on you. If that car were mine, I'd have to continually be polishing the paint from the drool dripping onto it everytime I was around

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Great looking GT. You are a lucky man.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

That car is stunning...a great color combination and wonderful options.

What city/town was the car shipped to?
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

More interesting information about your car, Wayne:

1. It is the last R2/Powershift/Full Package GT Hawk ever built. (Only one additional full-package R2 Hawk was built after yours, 64V20084, but it was a 4-speed.)

2. It is the last full-package black Hawk built.

3. It was the last R-powered Hawk ever built (full package or otherwise) with a red vinyl interior. One was built later with a red cloth interior; not vinyl.

Truly a "neat" car. 'Glad to hear it survives. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Wayne
                      Hi Wayne.....My full package car has the engine s/n of JTSJ306.....Your engine was produced on Sept 5 1963, mine was produced on Sept 6 1963.....almost a small world isn't it.....

Comment

Working...
                      X