Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Candy

Studebaker Indy Engine by Hugo90, on Flickr

Don't know what museum this is in, but the placard explains that it's one of 2 factory DOHC engines built for Agajanian in 1953 for his Indy effort. It further says that during trials, the high-torque starter twisted off the first engine's crankshaft nose, so the second was not run and the effort abandoned.

I did a little digging, though, and Paul D. Smith in his book Merchants of Speed says that this engine did break the 200 MPH barrier during trials before the mechanical failure. Cool stuff!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Speedway Automotive in Lincoln, Nebraska.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bill Smith's (Speedy Bill) Museum of American Speed, located on the corporate campus of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska www.museumofamericanspeed.com

Comment

It's a shame that often a pioneering effort in engine development is stopped by a seemingly small malfunction. Of course, replacing a broken crankshaft is no small deal on a hybrid engine, but racing is like that. It would have been interesting to see how one of these engines would have fared after the teething problems were solved.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

As impressive as this picture is these engines are even more impressive in person. If you are ever traveling anywhere near Lincoln stopping by this museum should be a must. Set aside a few hours to go through it. It is a great place for car folks.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Your title inspired me to share my own "engine candy":
            Click image for larger version

Name:	nimeshR3-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1666549
            Built by Nimesh Solanki, it is how I hope my r2 Lark engine will look before I'm done.

And my runner-up: Malcolm Berry's Wagonaire:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Laptop 1339.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1666550
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the block in this vison of lovelyness is a stock V8 block?

Jon Kammer

Comment

Working...
              X