Well, Whadya Know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Whadya Know!

I was working with the shop guy getting the Lark ready for a paint touch-up this morning, and took the gas tank door in to the OEM Auto Paint store to find out what paint I needed. I'd figured it to be a foreign car paint, since I've seen very similar shades of metallic gold on Toyotas(especially Camry's), but I'd also wondered if it might not be the same gold paint used on the Golden Hawks. To my surprise, the paint analysis showed that it IS a Studebaker stock paint, Akzo code STUDE, color map 314C5. I don't think that the Larks came in that color, unless it was custom-ordered, though maybe the Cruisers were an exception. Apparently someone tried to make it look like a Golden Hawk at some point! The guy just put the scanner thing on the gas tank door, without asking what it came from, then looked at me funny and asked, with a glance out the shop window at my green RAV-4, "What are you trying to make look like a Studebaker"?

pitbulllady

I'm getting ready to paint the wifes GT. Iwent to the paint store and asked for some Wimbledon White that was used on Ford trucks for many years. I've been told it's as close to the Ermine White as you can get. Just so happened they were out of that color. Clyde, the store owner, said "Let's look in the old book" sure enough he found the paint code for Studebaker Ermine. Said it would be here in 3 days. I picked it up today Sez Studebaker Ermine Right on the lable. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm getting ready to paint the wifes GT. Iwent to the paint store and asked for some Wimbledon White that was used on Ford trucks for many years. I've been told it's as close to the Ermine White as you can get. Just so happened they were out of that color. Clyde, the store owner, said "Let's look in the old book" sure enough he found the paint code for Studebaker Ermine. Said it would be here in 3 days. I picked it up today Sez Studebaker Ermine Right on the lable. NT

Neil Thornton
      Hazlehurst, GA
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '56 Sky Hawk
      '51 2R16 dump truck
      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have a '63 wagon that was painted the metalic gold and another that was painted the ermine white. I also have a '62 Champ that was painted the ermine white as well. All the white ones have oxidized and are now powdery white that is really messy to rub against.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have a '63 wagon that was painted the metalic gold and another that was painted the ermine white. I also have a '62 Champ that was painted the ermine white as well. All the white ones have oxidized and are now powdery white that is really messy to rub against.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks a lot Ron, that makes me feel a lot better. Maybe I should go back to Wimbledon. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks a lot Ron, that makes me feel a lot better. Maybe I should go back to Wimbledon. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Don't worry about that! 'Chalking' was a common problem with older paints-any color.The exact shade you buy doesn't have much to do with it.
                Any shade of white will chalk a certain amount if not polished once in a while.

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Don't worry about that! 'Chalking' was a common problem with older paints-any color.The exact shade you buy doesn't have much to do with it.
                  Any shade of white will chalk a certain amount if not polished once in a while.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                  X