A 56G-F1 parts car available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 56G-F1 parts car available

Visited my old town of Louisa, VA today. Sitting behind one of the local general garages sat a 56G-F1. Naturally, I stopped to inquire as I had never seen the car the 43 years I lived there. The garage owner said he received a call to tow an old car out of a collasped barn on property that had been abandoned years ago. It was located on the back 40 behind 500 acres of corn fields. He sent his crew to retrieve the car.

After awhile, the tow truck driver called and said the situation appeared suspicious as the car had three bullet holes, one in the windshield, two in the drivers side front window. The car had been in the barn for some time. Question, do we call the law. "No, bring it on in and I'll deal with it", was the owner's response.

When the tow truck returned, the driver had to tell a story on himself and others who were present. Someone inquired if perhaps a skeleton was in the trunk. The trunk had a manual opener, as a taxi, and when it was popped, a huge raccoon came out hissing. It took 5 minutes to get everyone back to the car, according to the driver.

The car is complete, but the floor pan, hood and top of the front fenders are rusty and holy. The hood almost collasped when I tried to lift it to look at the body tag. It reads- 56G-F1. Serial number is G1377583. The running gear is in place, it has 3 sp. with overdrive. The interior is trashed of course. The grille is not beat up, the front bumper is straight as are the guards- just needs some chroming. Overall the car does not appear to have had any noticeable damage before ending up in the barn. The car can be had for a very reasonable sum.

OK, some of you are already shaking your head and saying there was no 56G-F1. It looked as a 1 rather than a 2. (F1 was a trim code for the 1957 Scotsman) It was hard to see as the hood kept trying to buckle, the wind was blowing about 20mph in a temperature of 30, and I didn't want to push it. No, I didn't have a camera. I will take photos next trip to Louisa if someone is interested in this car.

If interested, contact me via e-mail- M16-52@comcast.com.

Frank Drumheller
    Locust Grove, VA
    60S-W6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Mystery time. Since it was a 56, and its a given that you know what a 56 is like front and rear, and a 2 door sedan, the only obvious question (other than that photo of the body tag) is: is it a flat windshield, or a wraparound windshield? If the facts are as you say, could this car have been something like a government/fleet order, (such as those *1962* D stationwagons) which would have been 16G-F1 flat windshield Customs with part of the contract finished up and delivered as 56G-F1 Customs instead of 56G-F3 Deluxes. As a car not regularly sold or contemplated being sold, might it like the 2 door wagons and been 'off the books'? Only odd thing would be having overdrive on a bare-bones car...

Comment

There were no flat windshield sedans after mid '55.

Comment

Probably a 56G-F4 and the 4 looked like a 1. That is assuming that it is in fact a 1956 Champion two door sedan.

Edit: I see that you posted a 1956 Champion, South Bend built, serial number.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X