Studebakers West -- service record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers West -- service record

I've gotten to the point with Bess that she is headed back into the garage for a prolonged stay. My friend wants me to keep chauffering her around in the car and is thus against putting the old girl away. She's willing to pay for the repairs too. Therefore, I come to the connumdrum of having to deal with Bess' multiple issues.

Bess' brake system is in need of a total overhaul. The old girl pulls hard to the left whenever the brakes are applied. I've tried to balance left to right and when I have it where she will stop evenly, the right drags badly. Sometimes it seems like the rears aren't even engaging at all. Thus, it's time the brakes were looked at by a competant mechanic. I mean, she does stop. Quite well, as a matter of fact. Things just aren't remotely working how they should be, though.

The transmission that was so kindly donated for her is not working properly. I'm not entirely sure this is the syncros or simply a poorly adjusted clutch. It's quite possible that this tranny simply needs adjustment, or the rebuild was botched, I just don't know. Again, a competent mechanic needs to go through it.

My problem is that I don't know any mechanics who are competant with Studebakers. Thus, the question:

Does anyone have experiance with Studebakers West in Redwood Ca? We used to have a really good mechanic north-east of Fresno, but he's gone to Oregon and I don't want to haul this car over the Siskiyou's. The grade on the Oregon side is nothing short of frightening. Thus... this leaves me with Stu. W. So, how's their reputation amoungst the members here?

...Anyone?
    Last edited by studeclunker; 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I would definitely trust them with my car. Wouldn't hesitate a moment!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes, they are very competant. I've used them several times.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Carl and Herman are top notch and both real nice guys. Well worth whatever their shop rate is.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          <<<...Anyone?
          Well, here's an OPTION # 2

Comment

You will need to get in line so don't wait until you need it, better call ahead and set up a day or 2 that will be needed 650-366-8787
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Being 3,000 miles away I have never utilized their services but, they are the mechanical service advisers in The Studebaker Co-operator column of TURNING WHEELS and have answered several of my questions over the years. They may just have some knowledge of their craft.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Jim, I was looking for information on a service provider. I got rid of my Larks. Besides, I'd rather stick with the Devil I know rather than bring home one I don't. Thanks anyway.

Bob, yeah... I already made the appointment. Just wanted to make sure that it was a good thing to do. Haven't had any experiance with Stu. W. and probably should have transported my wagon down to them six years ago to begin with. This time I want to make sure the Mechanic at least knows what a Studebaker is.
                Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Being 3,000 miles away I have never utilized their services but, they are the mechanical service advisers in The Studebaker Co-operator column of TURNING WHEELS and have answered several of my questions over the years. They may just have some knowledge of their craft.
                  Oh gosh... haven't I just displayed my ignorance and stupidity? I've read that column numerous times and didn't make the connection! DUH! Well, I suppose that answers the question right there.

Embarrassing, just totally embarrassing...
                  Ron Smith

Comment

The BIGGEST thing about Carl & Herman, they are HONEST, and they KNOW what they are doing! and since I just hooked up their harness in my 63 Avanti, I'll give their wiring harness's a plug! as they are top notch!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Oh gosh... haven't I just displayed my ignorance and stupidity? I've read that column numerous times and didn't make the connection! DUH! Well, I suppose that answers the question right there.

Embarrassing, just totally embarrassing...
                      In Hawaiʻi we say, "mai hilahila," which translates to something along the lines of, "donʻt waste your time being ashamed." Yours was a valid question - exactly the kind of thing this forum is supposed to be for - and youʻve given the rest of us the opportunity not only to express our appreciation for a couple of dependable, honest and hard-working fellow Studenauts but also to give back to them with a whole bunch of legitimate free advertising in the process.

Well done, sir, and thank you.

Afterthought: and donʻt even think about giving up Bess. Iʻm mainly a Lark guy myself, but I sure am glad cars like Bess have guys like you to care for them. I think sheʻs a charmer.
                      Last edited by JGK 940; 12-06-2010, 09:07 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by JGK 940 View Post
                        Afterthought: and donʻt even think about giving up Bess. Iʻm mainly a Lark guy myself, but I sure am glad cars like Bess have guys like you to care for them. I think sheʻs a charmer.
                        Yes, well she charmed my socks off the first time I saw that ebay auction. It truely amazed me that the car sold as low as it did and that I actually won it. Took me a few days to realize that she really was mine. There was an article in Turning Wheels on the '56 models... oh, six... seven years ago or so. I fell in love with them. The wagons in particular when Studebaker International had one on their cover.

The old girl gets compliments no matter where she goes. Even in as admittedly shabby condition as she's in. Kind of reminds me of my mother, come to think of it... This vintage has a decent seat where I don't feel like I'm sitting on the floor and the ceiling isn't too low. In fact, I can even wear a hat, something I could never do in a Lark. So, as much as I like the '62 - '63 Larks, I'll just admire them. This old girl is just right for me. Paula still wants one for herself though. LOL, I just can't see her driving a fifty-four year old car! The poor thing probably wouldn't survive it (the car that is).

You know what the greatest thing about Bess is? She fits in the modern parking spaces! Sometimes being a skinny old lady has its virtues.

So, selling off my model train collection isn't too very much of a sacrifice. Bess is worth it. Besides, the trains can't get me to work, the grocery, or Church.
                        Last edited by studeclunker; 12-07-2010, 12:50 AM.
                        Ron Smith

Comment

I've gotten to the point with Bess that she is headed back into the garage for a prolonged stay.

This is great to hear, Ron. I know how much you love that car. Looking forward to hearing about the improvements!
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Posted by studeclunker
                            There's too many Bobs around here sometimes...
                            Clunk, It sounds like you have thought it out well and have made the right decision. You certainly have spoken about your feelings for the car and , therefore, it deserves to be repaired.

Even better, there appears to be no Bob's to deal with at Studebaker's West.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Even better, there appears to be no Bob's to deal with at Studebaker's West.

Bob
                              Yes, well it could be worse. When in eighth grade, I remember Mrs. Utley's expression when she called out 'Ron Smith' during the first Roll call and six of us answered!
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X