Studebaker Material in Packard Cormorant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Material in Packard Cormorant

If you have any friends in Packard Automobile Classics, ask them to allow you to read the Spring 2007 copy of their slick quarterly, The Packard Cormorant. That issue arrived in today's mail.

Therein is much Studebaker and Studebaker-related material; very interesting. SDC member [u]Ross Miller </u>authors an article complimentary to Studebaker, Born of a Studebaker - The 1957 Packard Clipper. Color photos of a 1956 Studebaker advertisement are reproduced.

Contemporary color photos compare Ross Miller's 1956 Studebaker President Classic with SDC member [u]Hal Hermann's </u>1957 Packard Clipper. In a separate article, My 1957 Clipper, Hal extols the virtues of one he has had for many years. [^]

All total, the two articles run to six pages, and all pages have at least one photograph. Four of the pages have full-color photographs. []

Overall, nice Studebaker-related features, presently pleasantly and positively by our friends at Packard Automobile Classics. (Who, incidentally, will be having their 2007 National Meet in South Bend the same week as SDC's!) [8D] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob~ Thanks for reminding me to check my mailbox today!!! [:0]
    I notice that this article is much smaller then the one on '56s~
    I wonder if they'll even bother doing 1958 [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bob~ Thanks for reminding me to check my mailbox today!!! [:0]
      I notice that this article is much smaller then the one on '56s~
      I wonder if they'll even bother doing 1958 [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
      '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

That's great to hear Bob, though I can't get a copy. It's curious as to why Packard didn't drop the Studebaker name following the takeover. I mean effectively Studebaker was a division of the Packard Motor Company.
        BTW What books are the best for Studebaker and Packard history? Was looking on Ebay last night and saw a few, especially the Automobile Quarterly one on Packard that was 10 years in researching, (Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company Beverly Kimes) has something as comprehensive been done on Studebaker?

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

That's great to hear Bob, though I can't get a copy. It's curious as to why Packard didn't drop the Studebaker name following the takeover. I mean effectively Studebaker was a division of the Packard Motor Company.
          BTW What books are the best for Studebaker and Packard history? Was looking on Ebay last night and saw a few, especially the Automobile Quarterly one on Packard that was 10 years in researching, (Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company Beverly Kimes) has something as comprehensive been done on Studebaker?

John Clements
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements

Comment

John: The Beverly Rae Kimes book is the best Packard book. The Fox/Cannon Studebaker Story isn't as impressive as the Kimes book, but is the best that's been done on Studebaker, IMHO. It has been out of print so long, though, that copies are hard to find. I've been kind of looking for one myself for some time! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John: The Beverly Rae Kimes book is the best Packard book. The Fox/Cannon Studebaker Story isn't as impressive as the Kimes book, but is the best that's been done on Studebaker, IMHO. It has been out of print so long, though, that copies are hard to find. I've been kind of looking for one myself for some time! BP

Comment

I was surprised one day when my wife came home with the Cannon/Fox book, especially since I had not requested any Stude literature. She is finishing up her phD at Virginia Commonwealth University and it was in their library. As she is also employed there she was able to check it out for 6 months, though I sent it back in a couple of weeks. This was either the second or third time it had been checked out since it was purchased.

So, if you just want to read it, inquire at you local library. If you are looking to buy a copy I checked with a rare book seller and the cheapest copy they can find is $90.00 plus shipping. If anyone is interested in getting a copy, send me a message and I will put you in contact with the dealer.

Comment

I was surprised one day when my wife came home with the Cannon/Fox book, especially since I had not requested any Stude literature. She is finishing up her phD at Virginia Commonwealth University and it was in their library. As she is also employed there she was able to check it out for 6 months, though I sent it back in a couple of weeks. This was either the second or third time it had been checked out since it was purchased.

So, if you just want to read it, inquire at you local library. If you are looking to buy a copy I checked with a rare book seller and the cheapest copy they can find is $90.00 plus shipping. If anyone is interested in getting a copy, send me a message and I will put you in contact with the dealer.

Comment

I will be interested but am almost at the limit on my Visa card so will have to wait, no doubt it'll be worth the wait. Maybe for my Birthday on 9/20(1959).

John Clements
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements

Comment

I will be interested but am almost at the limit on my Visa card so will have to wait, no doubt it'll be worth the wait. Maybe for my Birthday on 9/20(1959).

John Clements
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements

Comment

BTW What books are the best for Studebaker and Packard history?
                        I would also highly recommend: The book, The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company by James A. Ward, and another I would recommend is not a book, but a six issue installment entitled 'Looking Back at Studebaker 1943-64' by Ed Reynolds Sr. in Car Classics magazine, June '73 through April, 1974.

Craig

Comment

BTW What books are the best for Studebaker and Packard history?
                          I would also highly recommend: The book, The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company by James A. Ward, and another I would recommend is not a book, but a six issue installment entitled 'Looking Back at Studebaker 1943-64' by Ed Reynolds Sr. in Car Classics magazine, June '73 through April, 1974.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I'll print out this thread and save it for later. Would be nice to have an option just to print one message rather than a whole thread.

John Clements
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements

Comment

Thanks Craig, I'll print out this thread and save it for later. Would be nice to have an option just to print one message rather than a whole thread.

John Clements
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements

Comment

Working...
                              X