Knee replacement and the avanti...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee replacement and the avanti...

found out this past week i'll be having knee replacement surgery in the next few weeks... 6th surgery this past year, and will join my total hip replacement and 4 level lumbar fusion. any experiences with the knee would be appreciated...

as for the avanti, i placed it on c.l. (again). don't really expect any action, but could use the cash for the dr. bills, i suppose. already traded in my C5 c*rvette for a denali - could barely get in & out of it...

hoping that all will be ok and i'll have the avanti ready to meet the folks in the area sdc at carolina beach on april 1&2 (as advertised in TW)...

again, thanks to all here for my continuing education of all things studebaker!!!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
    found out this past week i'll be having knee replacement surgery in the next few weeks... 6th surgery this past year, and will join my total hip replacement and 4 level lumbar fusion. any experiences with the knee would be appreciated...!
    My work brought me in touch with clients needing surgeries of a great variety. Total Knee Replacement (TKR) is quite successful today with all of the advances made in the surgical procedure and the replacement appliances. What occurs in the first three months after surgery is very important. Your knee will be healing and you will be receiving post-surgery therapy. Follow the advice of your therapist and exercise the knee as directed. It strengthens the knee and prevents any adhesions. Sometimes there will be discomfort when using your knee initially, but continue to do the exercises because they are so important in making a good recovery. Best wishes for a return to full activity.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Doing the therapy and exercises daily before and after, as mandated by your doctor and therapist, is very important. Don't skip a day! Whatever you do, don't even think of having both done at once to save time <ggg> Recent open evening at local Arthritis Society sponsored info session was an eye opener for one fellow contemplating both at same time, and a wake-up call for several of us one leg at a timers.

Comment

My Mother had a full knee replacement at age 94. She went to rehab for 5 days and learned how to exercise and care for it. She never used a pain medication,walker or a cane and was going up and down stairs within a month. I'm 76 and she still makes me look like a whiner when we compare aches and pains. The surgery really allowed her to have her life back and was well worth the few days of mild discomfort.

Comment

Haad my right knee done last Dec. and doing just great with it. People at Glendale could tell you about my being active there and I'm 76.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

My wife had both knees replaced in February. It is no worse than having one. Exercise, range of motion, and rehab are paramount. It is the most sucessful of the joint replacements. At the hospital where my wife's surgery was done, the knee doctors had the whole floor of one tower, and there was one room that was for rehab. The rehab was done as a group thing, surgeries being scheduled on tuesday, and friday. You were challenged by those around you. Very sucessful. She was back at work 30 days after surgery, and climbed up and down 3 flights of stairs ever since the surgery. She continued to do rehab at her desk. Oh, and she had shrunk about 1 1/2 inches in the last few years, and she got it back from having the knees replaced. She did the 5k Dallas Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving with no problems.

Comment

My wife had two knees replaced, 2000 and 2001, one replaced each year. We followed doctors advice and completed rehab as prescribed. She took lots of pain medication. She could drive a stick shift as soon as pain medication was discontinued. Go for the surgery would be her advice; also, my advice. Good Luck.

Comment

thanks to all for the encouragement - i needed it!!! although i've had hip replacement twice on the right side (1988 & 2003 for a "revision") and all the back fusions, etc. i was hoping i would be thru w/ all the surg's for awhile...
                definitely will hit the phys. therapy with all i can muster. btw - when i had the 1st hip replacement in '88, the surgeon told me to go join a gym when i asked about p.t.!!!
                been putting in 12 to 14 hour days trying to finish the upholstery in the avanti. promised mrs. corvanti tomorrow would be the last day (for awhile). hope i can get the crash pads and rear quarter pads in and call it finished for now...
                thanks again...
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                  found out this past week i'll be having knee replacement surgery in the next few weeks... 6th surgery this past year, and will join my total hip replacement and 4 level lumbar fusion. any experiences with the knee would be appreciated...

as for the avanti, i placed it on c.l. (again). don't really expect any action, but could use the cash for the dr. bills, i suppose. already traded in my C5 c*rvette for a denali - could barely get in & out of it...

hoping that all will be ok and i'll have the avanti ready to meet the folks in the area sdc at carolina beach on april 1&2 (as advertised in TW)...

again, thanks to all here for my continuing education of all things studebaker!!!
                  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you as you go into this procedure and those of us in the Eastern North Carolina Chapter will be waiting for you at Back to the Beach. It is a great event that we have attended ever since the event began several years ago. I sent you an email about joining up with us.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

been there done that and mine was a bear the scar tissue keep growing over and had a long hard time with it, had to go back in and they had to break it loose and after 2 week it had grown back for the 2nd time after that they but me in a leg brace that I had on all night, every night I would adjust a little bit and after a month or so it started working fine, but I still know it is there hard to kneel down on and hard to get up, everyone is different when it comes to healing and the movement, my wife had both of hers done 2000 at the same time and in a week she was up and about, now 2 years ago she fell and broke her right knee at the bone, they had to rebuild the bone and now the new one goes into the bone 8" top and bottom mine goes in about an inch or two, she is still down and doing slow, good luck with yours.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

In my Avanti's recent restoration, the only think I didn't replace was the knee.

Seriously, good luck with that.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                      X