1954 Mechanical Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Mechanical Power Steering

I remember reading that Studebaker developed a mechanical type of power steering for 1954 but only a few models were released with it and it was recalled and disappeared. Does anyone know if a model or one of these still exists? Also, how did it work and did Studebaker do this on their own or in conjunction with another company?
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    I remember reading that Studebaker developed a mechanical type of power steering for 1954 but only a few models were released with it and it was recalled and disappeared. Does anyone know if a model or one of these still exists? Also, how did it work and did Studebaker do this on their own or in conjunction with another company?
    Hi Dan, Heres my view, In late 1952 / 53 and about the time that Studebaker was teasing the automotive press about the introduction of the new “European Style Coupes” they began to also promote an entirely new type of power steering unit that wasn’t hydraulic. Unlike the rest of the car companies Studebaker was preparing to introduce a completely mechanical power steering system. Borg Warner made Studebaker automatic transmissions and along with Studebaker designed a mechanical power steering unit. It was powered through a belt and featured a series of clutches. While touted as simpler than every other manufacturers hydraulic power steering it was discontinued mid-year 1953. The real world found it very noisy and impossibly complex. Road tests late into the model year still talked about its unavailability so it seems it only wasted design funds, not warrantee problems. It was very close to still-born. To my eye it looks complex to the point of a parody of a simple design. After expending scarce Advertising and Engineering resources Studebaker limped into offering the conventional hydraulic units like their competition. The actual cost far exceeded the simply printing of a new 1953 Supplement. This fiasco was simply another very visible crack in Studebaker’s reputation while contributing to the weak new model launch in 1953. At least IMHO this is what happened.

Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Try this. read down a ways and it will tell about the mechanical power steering. 100 were made and they were noise.

Comment

Interesting that only 100 were made.

Around 1967 or '68 I was cruising the old junkyards around Austin, TX, picking up whatever parts and accessories I could find for my '53 hardtop.

I remember finding a '54 Land Cruiser 4 door sedan with a lot of options. The car was sitting out on a hilltop with twenty or twenty-five other old cars in a small junkyard.

The car had power steering, like none other I had seen before. The power steering unit had a belt, a jackshaft and a lot of machinery. I studied it for a good while for the oddity that it was. But, I had no interest in power steering for my Stude and certainly not one with this much excess machinery. Sorry I didn't have the foresight to get it and preserve it for posterity.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
          Interesting that only 100 were made.

Around 1967 or '68 I was cruising the old junkyards around Austin, TX, picking up whatever parts and accessories I could find for my '53 hardtop.

I remember finding a '54 Land Cruiser 4 door sedan with a lot of options. The car was sitting out on a hilltop with twenty or twenty-five other old cars in a small junkyard.

The car had power steering, like none other I had seen before. The power steering unit had a belt, a jackshaft and a lot of machinery. I studied it for a good while for the oddity that it was. But, I had no interest in power steering for my Stude and certainly not one with this much excess machinery. Sorry I didn't have the foresight to get it and preserve it for posterity.

Don
          I do not believe that the Studebaker factory installed mechanical power steering in any cars other than a small number of early 1953s. That 1954 may have had a system installed later (or was it possibly a 1953?).

The 1953 Owner's Manual has a section on PS that I will not re-"type" here. It talks about "direct engine-driven", normal feel when engine not running except for "ratcheting noise" and you will hear noise if you do not use AC-2407 fluid.
          Last edited by studegary; 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM. Reason: added 1953
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I do not believe that the Studebaker factory installed mechanical power steering in any cars other than a small number of early 1953s. That 1954 may have had a system installed later (or was it possibly a 1953?).

The 1953 Owner's Manual has a section on PS that I will not re-"type" here. It talks about "direct engine-driven", normal feel when engine not running except for "ratcheting noise" and you will hear noise if you do not use AC-2407 fluid.
            The car could certainly have been a '53, given it's been a little over 40 years ago. Thanks for the correction.

I also believe that I remember that it had an auto trans and was a sort of a gray-blue in color and not in bad shape. Would be a find today. It had not been crashed. Perhaps the engine or transmission had been abused to the point that it simply did not run.

I do remember the car had no fog lights. I was looking for fog lights they were uncommon around Austin. All I got out of the car was a factory clock that I woked on for some time to get it to function. I learned a little about Stude clocks on that one.

Don

Comment

One of these would sure make an interesting display at the SNM!
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
              X