1941 President Skyway....prod nos.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 President Skyway....prod nos.??

I've got a lead on a 1941 President for sale. They say it is a Skyway Club Coupe with a straight 8 engine. Curious if someone has any production numbers on a beast like this? Pictures are supposed to be coming of the car.
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
    I've got a lead on a 1941 President for sale. They say it is a Skyway Club Coupe with a straight 8 engine. Curious if someone has any production numbers on a beast like this? Pictures are supposed to be coming of the car.

You need to be a member of the Antique Studebaker Club!! A total of 477 were assembled, eight known survivors. They were called Sedan Coupes rather than Club Coupes. There is one for sale right now in TW at $25,000, belongs to David Miller in Cincinnati. Mine (above) is in Studebaker National Museum. Just sold a second one.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Those are my favorite pre war cars,with the one piece windshield, beautiful waterfall grille, skirts. So simple but so elegant.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
        Those are my favorite pre war cars,with the one piece windshield, beautiful waterfall grille, skirts. So simple but so elegant.
        There is no better word for this car -- Elegant.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Agreed. Unbelievably pretty cars. Genuine style; subtle class. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

caddy look...coool

Comment

I think I am going to have to vote it as the best looking Studebaker made - pre and post war! Now if I could just catch some luck on that powerball thing...

Comment

Hi

Elegant: exactly the correct term to characterize the '41 & '42 President Skyway models. Studebaker took the design cues from the Cadillac 60 Special and the Lincoln Continental to offer it's market an esthetic they could get no where else for the price.

Were I in the position to, I've have one of each '41 & '42 President Skyway Land Cruiser and Sedan-Coupe styles. What a sweet four car collection that would be! So glad another one has survived, I can't wait to see the pictures of this car!

Steve

Comment

Just received one photo of the car in question. Certainly not as nice as Mr. Quinn's or the one he mentioned in TW. This is my first attempt at adding a pic so we'll see how it works out.
                  Attached Files
                  \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

First thing I would do is lose the visor.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That looks like a fairly complete car Al. It will be an ambitious restoration though.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Looks complete and see no rust through. A project for sure but if you are young enough......

You may be interested in this forum thread from a short time ago ago re another '41 President Sedan Coupe barn find:

This car has since been sold and restoration has begun. The new owner is, I believe, 20 years old.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi

An ambitious but thoroughly worthwhile restoration project! Just think how much you will enjoy driving and showing one of the rarest and most desirable pre-war Studebakers.

Keep us posted, we'll all be interested to see more pictures when they're available.

Steve

Comment

Well guys, I got the numbers for this car from the sellers and Richard Quinn has verified that if was a previously unknown car. The registry now has 9 cars existing out of the 477 made. I found this car on auctionzip.com listed for an estate auction coming up this Saturday Dec 11. It's in far western Kansas just about at the Colorado line some 40-50 miles south of Goodland Ks. I had a wild notion to try to go to this auction, as besides this car they have a 1963 Champ 1/2T pickup that is right hand drive and supposedly was purchased new by a postmaster in a small Kansas town just north of Hays Ks for rural delivery service. Now reality has set in and I just can't justify a 400+ mi one way trip and 2 days of driving round trip just for the CHANCE to bid on them. Auctioneer doesn't say anything about absentee bidding, so I hope someone in Western Ks or Eastern Colorado steps up and saves these two rare vehicles so they don't go to a crusher. They also have a 1947 Champion 2 dr and a 1965 Cruiser on the auction besides 20+ other old Plymouths, Dodges, a Rambler and a 1930 Federal truck. If your interested go to Auctionzip .com, look for Dec 11 and the Nickelson Estate Auction listed for Tribune Ks. Auction location is actually about 25 mi NW of Tribune and 25mi SW of Sharon Springs Ks.
                            \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

The '47 Champion 2dr is a busines coupe, looks to be in good condition (original paint?). There is also a '47 Champion 4dr, a '50, and a '55 4 dr. It appears there is still more stuff than listed!
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X