Brake Light Switch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Light Switch??

A here while back some one showed a picture of a brake light switch that was in looked like a brass fitting with the brake lines coming into it. If you understand what I mean. What year of Studebaker did that come out on? We are going to SI next week on our way back from Ohio. And I need to get one. I am going to put it on my 56 Parkview.

Early 50's had the stop switch on the master cylinder. Somewhere around 1953 they moved it to the Left frame rail, near the steering box depending on if you had a hill holder. Your 56 should have a brass block near the steering box with brake lines to the front, and a spot for the switch. SI runs on part numbers, but should know what you are talking about if a parts guy is handy.

Comment

I must have missed it some where down the line. I tore it down 3 years ago. But it seams to me the switch was in the back of the master cylinder.
      This wagon had a bunch of off the wall things done to it. The ignition switch was a toggle switch. The OD was a push pull switch taped on the gear shift. And lot more to numerous to list.
      Last edited by Carl Purdy; 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

The big clue would be where are the wires? There are 2 red wires leading to where the switch should be/used to be. They should end near the steering box, or continue along the frame to the master cyl. In your case, you really need a parts book and repair manual, they show it all. I am sure a wagon owner will chime in as to where his is located. There are 2 types of brass blocks you could use depending on how that car was set up. One type goes onto the end of the master cyl, and the other goes near the steering box.

Comment

The brake light switch is a standard Auto Parts Store Item, nothing special just a gray metal Hex shaped nut like thing with two male bullet Terminals on one end and a 1/8" pipe thread male fitting to screw into the Brass 3 or 4 way brake line block.
          I would just remove all of the FO's mods and put it back like the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and Shop Manual shows it.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Like Rich said, you can buy those switches at NAPA, Carquest and just about any local FLAPS.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X