PDA

View Full Version : Flight Baggage Levy

Aussie Hawk
12-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I recently heard American Airlines are charging international passengers a $75 levy on each piece of baggage booked in. Also they are encouraging US travellers to take their luggage as 'Carry On' instead of booking it in the hold. The overhead lockers will be bulging.

JBOYLE
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
That's nuts. It's not like it cost them $75 in extra fuel to carry a bag...and the baggage compartment is already there.

We'll see what happens when we fly British Airways to London. Last time (two years ago) we had a nice trip.

BobGlasscock
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The week before Thanksgiving, AA was charging $25 per bag. Don't know if they've raised it or not.

My favorite airline is still flying bags for free -- Southwest. Yea!

Bob Andrews
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
It's getting less and less appealing to to fly. At least here in the States you now get physically violated and get to see little old ladies and children cry while they're molested by TSA workers.

Next time I fly I'm going with a thong.

Here's a good ad for the TSA, brought to you by Saturday Night Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZM4Bpt3xZU

ST2DE5
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Nancy Pelosi flys Southwest Airlines now that bags fly free.

showbizkid
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I still prefer to take the train... but then, I drive a Studebaker, too!

Aussie Hawk
12-02-2010, 01:17 AM
I just about had my wife talked into coming to the US, (she's not a good flyer, and the thought of a 15 hour flight was a major hurdle). Then she saw the news report on the TSA pad downs - it ain't gonna happen now. I'm sort of glad in a way - I can see the headlines now, 'Crazed pink hair'd Australain woman goes nuts at airport when a pad down was attempted, it took 6 TSA officers to subdue her. Husband was heard to say - I warned you'!

Milaca
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
How many weeks and how much money does it take to travel by ship from Australia to the United States? Too bad we are so far apart, perhaps continental shift will bring our continents together in a few billion years making it much easier for Studebaker enthusiests to meet each other. :)

JBOYLE
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Nancy Pelosi flys Southwest Airlines now that bags fly free.

And she had to give up her free $30 million Air Force Gulfstream...

Bob Andrews
12-02-2010, 09:57 PM
So, she parked the broom?

BobPalma
12-03-2010, 07:00 AM
The funniest two minutes currently on You-tube addresses the TSA issue musically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8jGVXOMsw&hd=1

DEEPNHOCK
12-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Think of it this way...
The average traveler tries to pack everything in their checked baggage, which weighs a LOT...
The airline can ship revenue generating packages in the cargo hold.
If the airline can limit the checked baggage, they can make more money on revenue freight in the cargo hold.
So, they charge for the checked baggage to minimize the loss of revenue freight down below the passenger deck.
Jeff:cool:

I recently heard American Airlines are charging international passengers a $75 levy on each piece of baggage booked in. Also they are encouraging US travelers to take their luggage as 'Carry On' instead of booking it in the hold. The overhead lockers will be bulging.

gordr
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Think of it this way...
The average traveler tries to pack everything in their checked baggage, which weighs a LOT...
The airline can ship revenue generating packages in the cargo hold.
If the airline can limit the checked baggage, they can make more money on revenue freight in the cargo hold.
So, they charge for the checked baggage to minimize the loss of revenue freight down below the passenger deck.
Jeff:cool:

In other words, the airlines are chiseling. It used to be S.O.P. to allow passengers to check to bags for free, and that was accepted as the cost of doing business.

It's not a whole lot different from a auto mechanic shop tacking a $3.00 charge on every work order for "shop supplies". Used to be, shop supplies were just considered a part of overhead. Now they've found a way to make overhead into a revenue generator, at the expense of the customer, of course.

BobPalma
12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
It's not a whole lot different from a auto mechanic shop tacking a $3.00 charge on every work order for "shop supplies". Used to be, shop supplies were just considered a part of overhead. Now they've found a way to make overhead into a revenue generator, at the expense of the customer, of course.

My favorite now, Gordon, is the $2 or $3 oil flter disposal fee.

Hmmm....I wonder if you could avoid that by asking that your old oil filter be returned, the way they do removed parts to show wear. <GGG>

8E45E
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM
My favorite now, Gordon, is the $2 or $3 oil flter disposal fee.

Hmmm....I wonder if you could avoid that by asking that your old oil filter be returned, the way they do removed parts to show wear. <GGG>

Do you have a 'tire disposal fee' and an 'electronics disposal fee' where you live, like we do here?

Craig

BobPalma
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Do you have a 'tire disposal fee' and an 'electronics disposal fee' where you live, like we do here?

Craig

Tires: Yes
Electronics: Not right here in central Indiana, but I've heard of it.

hank63
12-04-2010, 12:00 AM
These sort of fees are just accounts people trying to make bonus for themselves, ie greed.
My pet hates are invoicing fees and fees for paying with credit card.
My previous mobile phone carrier introduced a $2 fee to send me the bill. They lost a $600 p.a. customer trying to score an extra $24.
Same thing with fees for paying with credit card, when possible I take my business elsewhere. If no choice, I make sure I pay the in last minute (literally) and often overpay by 50cents (they then send me a letter to tell me I'm 50 cents in credit). Postage costs are 60 cents per letter here in Oz.
My little revenge on greedy businesses who have forgotten what customer service is. (Or perhaps they never knew).
/H

nzstude
12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
The place where I used to get my car serviced lost me when the bill had $4:50 for topping up the water in the radiator header tank. I didn't pay the $4:50 either.

Bob Andrews
12-04-2010, 04:08 AM

Three bucks? That's nothing. The PO of my Avanti spent over $18K on it, including:

CRC Solvent- 3@$8.85= $26.55
Gumcutter- 4@$4.00= $16.00
Brake fluid- 4@$5.00= $20.00
Wire & terminals- $50.00

Throughout the 5 pages are more 'gumcutter', silicone, EPA fee ($25.00), and finally topping that with 'shop supplies': $1874.25:mad:

At my shop we have never charged for any of this stuff. I never understood how they get the balls to look people in the eye while they make charges like this.

hank63
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Bob, greed always overpowers wisdom.
/H

4961Studebaker
12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Fee's :mad:

The one (car related) that alway's gets my goat.......And I'm thankful cornerstone doesn't do.

The convience charge.........that Goodguy's likes to tack onto the ticket price for using internet registration. :mad: Isn't the whole purpose of using the internet and online registration.........the convience????. To save them money on a reduced staff at the ticket booth/gate. An advanced attendance number so appropriate plans can be made for concessions, and all other pertinent items. errrrrrrrr :mad:

Don't get me started on the "federal universal service charge" that's on everyone's telephone and ones tacked onto cable television. I might tell you how I really feel. :p