PDA

View Full Version : Avanti R1 AFB metering rods

R1 3137
11-29-2010, 03:50 PM
After reading over several forums about tuning carbs I opened up my 3506S to see what is in it and can barely make out 16.99 on one and just the 16 on the other. Since its been apart several times I didn't make not which side they came out of.
I checked the rods in the extra carb and they are also clearly marked 16.99 on one and barely readable ( with magnifying head set on)1699 on the other.
So I am guessing the wear is greater on one circuit than the other? Why?

but my real question is are those parts #s not size values? and if so what value (.057x.049 etc) would that be?

thanks

kmul221
11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
If you nwant to know email these guys & they will answer question about what you need,all that's necessary is make & model of carb.They have all parts & are very reasonable

http://stores.ebay.com/ALLSTATE-CARBURETOR/_i.html?_nkw=carter+afb&submit=Search&_sid=10382267

R1 3137
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks I'll give them a try.

Mike Van Veghten
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
The "smaller" needle/rod normally will go in the "deep" side of the manifold. That is, the side that goes deeper or lower into the manifold than the other side.

Mike

R1 3137
11-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I mic'd them and they are all .048 / .070
I don't see that size listed anywhere but several are close. Will keep looking some before ordering anything. Still haven't found the definative answer for what is speced but since I have 4 all at 048/070 I'm guessing that's it.
Next step is go lean and see what happens.

ivorydan
11-30-2010, 05:31 AM
16-99's were standard on R1 equipped Larks and Hawks: .069 x .058.

R1 3137
11-30-2010, 11:05 AM
thanks for the info ivorydan. That actually sounds closer to the readings I had since it was a tight .070. Knowing the real number rests my 'worried' mind.

R1 3137
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
On the 63 Avanti Tune Up Sheet @ http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Tuneup/63XV8TUb.jpg

They list a 3589s with the same rod (16-99) as the ones I pulled out of this 3506S
Are these model numbers 'the same but different' as in the volume of air they move?
A 3589 moving 589 ci and a 3506 only moving 506?

jlmccuan
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Here is the chart I use. The colors are my way of keeping track of what I have installed and available. This is easier to see as a spreadsheet, but couldn't post that here. I can email the file to anyone who wants it. Note the important number is the clearance in sq in between the rod at each step and the jet. Your measurement of .048 is a lot different than the .058. You will likely be much richer under power, depending on the jet installed. This uses the Edelbrock part numbers, but I go by the measurement rather than number. Somewhere here I have a cross reference for Carter to Edelbrock.

R1 3137
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
JLM I discovered I made a typo with the .48... it's really .058. I've put a .071X.058 that I got in a partial strip kit from ebay in part because it was in much better shape and the smallest of changes.
I'd like to take a look at that spreadsheet. I started one on google docs yesterday when I realized my scattered notes on dist, spring changes and degrees advance, total etc needed to be all in one place.
Since entering into this tuning mode and having both the dist and the carb in play I realized I needed a working shop manual. Something with pages from the manual, schematics, tune up guides and sheets and what ever works. So a three ring binder with pages printed on the heavy photo paper inside of plastic sheets has been created. now I can blow up a chart or diagram to a size I can easily read or reference while working instead of looking for reading glasses and the right place on the page. Plus the pages in the Avanti Manual don't smudge up (as bad) with greasy fingers!

Would still like to hear about those carb model numbers from anyone who knows

Rick

ronhusak
02-06-2011, 03:16 PM
JIm..
I too would like the cross reference mentioned.. and would like a useable copy of your spreadsheet.. I simply cannot get it big enough to see..
Maybe send it as an attachment directly? rhusak@compuserve.com
Thanks
Ron Husak

Here is the chart I use. The colors are my way of keeping track of what I have installed and available. This is easier to see as a spreadsheet, but couldn't post that here. I can email the file to anyone who wants it. Note the important number is the clearance in sq in between the rod at each step and the jet. Your measurement of .048 is a lot different than the .058. You will likely be much richer under power, depending on the jet installed. This uses the Edelbrock part numbers, but I go by the measurement rather than number. Somewhere here I have a cross reference for Carter to Edelbrock.