Mopar mid 60's alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar mid 60's alternator

My car came with a Mopar mid 60's alternator. I would like to make sure it is wired correct! I have one wire going to the Ampmeter. A second wire goes to the voltage regulator, from the voltage regulator a line feeds to the coil where the ignition wire connects. Any answers, let them fly!

Curt, it is hooked up exactly the same way as the stock Prestolite alternator, and uses the same regulator.

Sounds like yours is wired correctly. The regulator should have two terminals, marked "IGN" and "FLD" or simply "F". The "FLD" terminal goes to the small terminal on the alternator, and the "IGN" terminal should connect to some point in the ignition circuit that becomes live when the key is turned on. The "hot" side of the coil qualifies for that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

OPPS! that won't do Gord, it could overload that wire to the Ign. switch, but definetely is wrong. You need to use the dedicated wire in the loom (or add one) to the switch, because that pink wire will give only 6-8 Volts!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What side of the switch to run the line to the coil, is acc OK ?

Comment

My line from the 'ign' switch to the coil is not pink, this was a 6 volt system and it has been changed to 12 volt system by the previous owner. I suspect that is why I do not have a pink wire. I'm sure my wife would like a pink wire as opposed to the black/green wire that's in the harness. Thanks for the input.[8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

OPPS! that won't do Gord, it could overload that wire to the Ign. switch, but definetely is wrong. You need to use the dedicated wire in the loom (or add one) to the switch, because that pink wire will give only 6-8 Volts!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              You're right, Rich, I had forgotten about the pink resistor wire. From subsequent posts, it seems the car in question used to be six volt, so there would have been no resistor wire in this case. But the OP didn't specify car model, and I should have caught that.

Comment

Anyone have a few pics of this setup. I'd like to include it on the web page. thanks

Bob Johnstone
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Just use a alternator from say, a 68 Dodge. A few flat washer spacers and it bolts on and wires like the factory. (The mopar regulator is the same.)

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                  64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert-63
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment