Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56J-K7 where do you get parts for the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56J-K7 where do you get parts for the engine?

WE are thinking about this 56 GoldenHawk don't know what parts are available for the Big ole Packard engine. Its missing alot of little things. But the main thing is getting engine parts. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Thank you
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
    WE are thinking about this 56 GoldenHawk don't know what parts are available for the Big ole Packard engine. Its missing alot of little things. But the main thing is getting engine parts. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Thank you
    http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ and look around, you will be amazed at what all is there!

Another great source for info & help is the "56Jonlygroup@yahoogroups.com" Cost to join is the same as the SDC Forum ...it's FREE!!!

Looking forward to Welcoming you to the 56J Family!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
      There is a guy on this Forum, I believe has “fresh rebuilds on-the-shelf,” if you choose to go that route. That gentleman should also be along here shortly to help answer your questions/concerns.

Yes, that would be our own Mr. Jack Vines (PackardV8). He's your guy, or at least your starting point
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If you are going to be rebuilding the Packard engine, there are some things that you need to be aware of, and it's been long enough that I don't recall all the details. Most important is the oil pump; it's pretty much pointless to rebuild a Packard without having the oil pump rebuilt - they tend to wear out and pump air for some reason which isn't particularly good for the rest of the engine. there also have been some oiling mods related to the heads. so best to read up on that before you dive in, so when you put it back together your engine has all the updates.

good luck,

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I pass this on for what it is worth... I just completed a frame off restoration of a 56 Golden Hark which is argueably the most difficult post war Studebaker to properly restore. Since retirement in 1995, 7 other Studebakers have been been frame off restored, including a second 56J. All of the engine parts were available, but at a cost two to three times Studebaker engine parts, primarily because, unlike SI who offers a "kit", no "kit" was available, thus parts came from several vendors on a parts by part basis. The most difficult part was the oil pump. The other engine components were likewise expensive, but there is plenty of help from the forum and the 56J group whoes passion for the 56J runs deep. The most difficult part to restore was the automatic transmission, it took over a year and nealry $3,000 versus Studebaker tranny at about $5-600 and there are very few people who can do it correctly. If the tach does not work you should look towards electronic conversion. As to the body be alert to the cost of "unique" 56J components/brightworks if you need to replace, for example, the checkmarks, back-up lights, tail lights. Was it worth it to me, yes it turned into a stunning, unique, eye-cathing classic of American style abd ingenuity, unfortunately not too many young folks know what a Studebaker is.

Comment

I've got all the parts available, as mentioned.

Engine rebuild kits are available - around $1800.

I have a completely rebuilt Packard 352" V8 on the shelf for $3,000.

I also have solutions for the oiling system problems.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Boy lots of good information out there. I will upload the pictures that I took of this 56J. I have been crunching numbers a lot and I can't justify the expense of restoring this car. Don't get me wrong I think every Studebaker deserves a chance to be reborn so to speak. After doing the 1957 GoldenHawk I'm not ready to tackle a project of this magnitude. David was thinking about it but he wants to enjoy the ones that he he has now. So I will post pictures in hopes that someone wants to adopt the is car. I contacted Frank on the 56J register and he told me whose car it used to be. Turns out that I saw this car 3 years ago the guy wanted $2500. for it then. Then about a year ago Pablo the StudePainter ran across it for $1500. Thats the price that he wants now.
              Attached Files
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

more pictures
                Attached Files
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

these are more pictures
                  Attached Files
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

these are the last of the pictures that I took.If anyone's interested let me know and I'll give you his number.
                    Attached Files
                    Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Fresno,Ca

Comment

After seeing those photos:

Run Away! Run Away! - "Monte Python and the Holy Grail"

"Run Forrest, run!" - "Forrest Gump"

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
                        >>>I have been crunching numbers a lot and I can't justify the expense of restoring this car.<<<
                        ….sure could use a little spiffin’ up here and there …but then again what kinda 56J could one expect for an asking price of $1500???

BUT …seriously …IF …you're considering doing a 56J restro when a better candidate comes along, this one for say $900, can still yield a lot of 56J unique parts.
                        Last edited by Welcome; 11-29-2010, 02:59 AM.

Comment

I just want to Thank everyone for your help on this. My husband was thinking real hard about doing this in partnership with a friend. Me I didn't want to touch it. I have a tendancy to want to save every Studebaker that I run across. But even I knew my limit. I figured by asking questions showing pictures that he would come around to my way of thinking. Plus I had already shown him the Pink on that was on ebay. Now that one for 1500. I wouldn't be able to pass up. I know in my dreams. So Studebakers are like puppies to me I just can't help bringing them home.
                          Thanks Again
                          Anne
                          Mabel 1949 Champion
                          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Working...
                          X