Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Correct battery deminsions

for a 1960 studebaker latk 6 cyl. wagon

It is a standard Group 24, avoid the 24F (Ford) the terminals are backwards, the GROUND Post should always be forward and inboard on all Studebakers, NEGATIVE on 12V and POSITIVE on 6V. Also avoid the "Generic" Batteries with the posts centered on the width.

The ones with no protruding cell covers will be easier to fit the OEM hold-down bracket.

An Interstate Battery works, also the last I checked, a Sears Die Hard Weatherhandler also does, they do not make the 24 in the top of the line Silver or Gold.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Group 24. 10 1/4" L; 6 13/16" W; 8 7/8" H. I have purchased 2 recently at Auto Zone. Interstate,Auto Zone,Checkers,Sears,AC-Delco are all now made by JCI(Johnson Control). Walmart and some of the others will try to sell you a group 34. Same length and width but an inch too short.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
        Group 24. 10 1/4" L; 6 13/16" W; 8 7/8" H. I have purchased 2 recently at Auto Zone. Interstate,Auto Zone,Checkers,Sears,AC-Delco are all now made by JCI(Johnson Control). Walmart and some of the others will try to sell you a group 34. Same length and width but an inch too short.

Denny L
        About one year ago, I bought new batteries for three vehicles. Two took Group 24. I got one at AutoZone and the other at WalMart. Is it recent that WalMart does not have 24 size or just a local thing? Group 24 is used in more modern cars, like my Acura, not just in Studebakers and older cars. At that time, WalMart did not carry a corect battery for Cathy's PT Cruiser. I got one in Advance. The installer tried to hook it up with the terminals reversed. It was good that I was watching. I normally install my own batteries, but Advance wouldn't give anything off for cash and carry and it is a pain to change the battery in the PT Cruiser. Like many newer cars, you can't even see the battery when you open the hood.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Things are not computing, is there supposed to be a battery box that goes on the inner fender that the battery sits in. Any body have a picture of the battery in place with the hold down on.

battery deminsion chart by group

Comment

There is not a battery box on a 1960 Lark front fender that I am aware of, but here's a pic of mine. It's not a Willard, but is an original Delco that I found dry in its original box. The rest of the V/8 Lark components are Delco so I went with it.

10-1/8" long. 6-3/4" wide. 8-1/8" high, Phil. Hope that helps.
            Last edited by barnlark; 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

None of the Larks or Champs have any Battery boxes, they sit on the inner fender. There is a small hole below the shelf for the "J" Bolt that holds the Battery hold down bracket on the engine side and a stud on the inner fender for the outboard wingnut.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Battery deminsions

Thanks for the picture and the response. The battery John has is too short, and of course the hold down didn't fit right.

Now we have (well he does cause i went back into retirement at 2pm yesterday) all the info and a great picture to get it done right.

Comment

He probably has a group 34 or 26. Both are too short.

Denny L

Comment

You may have to go to a shop that specializes in batteries; not a mainstream automotive chain like AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. These outfits mainly cater to the truck and industrial equipment market and will keep 'genuine' AABM 24 and the larger 27 batteries in stock. I have to use actual 24 batteries in Big Bertha as the batteries themselves along with the spacers support the cover.

Illustration from 8E Shop Manual:

With cover installed:

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I bought a red top Optima battery for my 6V 55 Conestoga, I knew they made cases for the Optima to look old and I thought id get one of those later. But when i got the Battery (From Jegs for $148) it would only fit cross wise (and very tight [\] ) in the battery holder for a 55. Looks strange and it wouldn't fit in a case and go into the battery holder. The car perked up and Started much easier that it did before.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        I have to use actual 24 batteries in Big Bertha as the batteries themselves along with the spacers support the cover.
                        Craig
                        That is one spoiled truck. What a beauty. It's one thing to see it in a picture from 50 feet back, but close up.....wow.

Comment

Working...
                        X