Built Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built Where?

I just bought a 1955 Commander Serial Number is 8424815 the Body Tag is 16G8-K5 2943. How do I find which plant it was built in. Also it has a 4 bbl carb. Is this normal I thought except for the Presidents and Speedsters they had 2 bbl carbs.
    Thanks

Welcome to the SDC and the SDC Forum,you will find information to join at the top of these pages.

In 1955 pretty much EVERYTHING was optional! It was ordered with the Power Kit; Carter WCFB 4 Barrel Carb. and Dual Exhausts most likely. If you send your Serial number to the Studebaker National Museum and a payment you can order the Production Order and find out many interesting things about your car like when it was built, where it was sent and the options that were Factory Installed.

My Studebaker Chassis parts Catalog says that this car was built at the South Bend, IN Plant not that it really matters, there were only two in the U.S. and one in Canada in 1955.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As Rich stated, your car was assembled in South Bend. It was near the end of production. The last SB '55 Comm. (of all body styles) was 8,429,407. The 16G8-K5 means that it is a Regal hardtop. The 2943 is the body build sequential number for this style.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info. I scraped off the top of the block where the number should be and only found what looks like 3 on the side closest to the valve cover. There is a little of the valve cover decal left with a e on it. I think they could have said Bearcat. Does that incidate a replacement block/engine?

Comment

If it is a cloverleaf, it may be a H.D. Replacement Engine, if it is a number with a Keystone around it, it is probably a random Inspection stamp, telling us nothing.

The best way to know if this is a 224, 259 or 289 is to try to measure the stroke from the spark plug hole to Piston, in TDC & BDC position. Since it is a late '55, it should have a 259.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It could be a Cloverleaf like Rich said in his post. Wire brush it real good and take another look. That 3 could be the side of a Cloverleaf. The sticker could have said Pacesetter which is a 55 224 ci. If the engine was replaced they probably used the valve covers off the one that was removed. Here is a pic of the cloverleaf.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
              It could be a Cloverleaf like Rich said in his post. Wire brush it real good and take another look. That 3 could be the side of a Cloverleaf. The sticker could have said Pacesetter which is a 55 224 ci. If the engine was replaced they probably used the valve covers off the one that was removed. Here is a pic of the cloverleaf.

Gordon
              As Rich said, your car should have been built with a 259, not a 224 as used earlier in the model year.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You guys are good - yep it's a cloverleaf lightly stamped on one edge making it look like a 3. My request for the production order goes out to the museum tomorrow.

Comment

Now you'll have to measure the stroke to determine which engine you have. Does it happen to have an oil filter down by the oil pan on the passenger side ? The production order won't list a cloverleaf engine because it was a replacement after the car left the factory.

Gordon

Comment

Our cars are twins. I'll get my serial number so we'll know if they are identical or fraternal
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Mine's 8420108. I have the production order and it came (and still is) Velvet Black, 259 Bearcat, 2 bbl, single exhaust. Where are you located? google warrlaw and my photobucket shots should come up. Enjoy!

Ooops, google: warrlaw1
                      Last edited by warrlaw1; 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                        Does it happen to have an oil filter down by the oil pan on the passenger side ?
                        The oil filter is up top by the filler tube.

Comment

Well, That makes your engine a pre 62 1/2. Thought you could narrow down the year a little by having a full flow oiling system.

Gordon

Comment

K; You still need to check the right rear of the block just above the pan for a Oil Filter block-off plate with two bolts in it, meaning it's a full flow replacement engine set up to duplicate the earlier style with the by-pass oil filter on top. It very well could be a 289 also.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good point Rich. I forgot about the block off plate. My cloverleaf is a full flow. But someone used the 61 valve covers and the oil fill pipe in front.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X