PDA

View Full Version : Why would anyone need.......

dictator27
11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
.....this much horsepower. There is a commercial running on a local tv channel promoting the new Cadillac coupe. It mentions that the car has 566 horsepower!! Why? Who would ever need that much? That's crazy.

Terry

Milaca
11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Anything with that much horsepower should come equipped with a fifth wheel hitch and a trailer brake & light receptacle!

Gunslinger
11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
It's like being equipped like John Holmes...nice to show off but doesn't do a lot of good in the real world.

Bob Andrews
11-26-2010, 05:50 PM
That is what is known in the car business as an 'inch item'. That means that everyone knows there's no actual need or use for that much power, but the sole purpose of it is for a bragging point; mostly desired by guys to use as compensation for something only an inch long;) Variation: In the business are 'inchmobiles'- Vettes, Shelby Mustangs, Hemi Challengers, and Hummers. In my area that extends to a Hemi-engined Dodge 4x4 truck, as opposed to a non-Hemi. Also see: midlife crisis, ponytail, Harley.

Disclaimer: Not a hundred percent definition; just a solid percentage:)

Milaca
11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
That makes sense Bams, but I am certain that you've never measured your customers to verify this, so I will take the definition as a 'presumed' or 'assumed' fact. :) With that stated, your wife must certainly appreciate that you drive an underpowered mini-van. Right? :) lol

56H-Y6
11-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi

Check the horsepower ratings of competitive BMW and Mercedes-Benz models, come to the party with too little, become the object of derision!

Steve

sweetolbob
11-26-2010, 06:39 PM
So if I told you that John Holmes drove a Corvette, where would that take us?:mad::cool:

Bob

54champ
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Guess that explains why I've always liked VW Beetles and those little 4 cyl diesel jobs, huh?

dictator27
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
That is what is known in the car business as an 'inch item'. That means that everyone knows there's no actual need or use for that much power, but the sole purpose of it is for a bragging point; mostly desired by guys to use as compensation for something only an inch long;) Variation: In the business are 'inchmobiles'- Vettes, Shelby Mustangs, Hemi Challengers, and Hummers. In my area that extends to a Hemi-engined Dodge 4x4 truck, as opposed to a non-Hemi. Also see: midlife crisis, ponytail, Harley.

Midlife crisis? What's the age of midlife? Forty? If so, that's waaaay back in my rear view mirror. Fifty? Still back there somewhere. Sixty? Past that, too (I'll be sixty-four on New Years Eve). You know what I would like? I'd like to find another example of the first car I ever owned. Not a Studebaker(sorry :)) Twenty-five dollars worth of 1946 Morris Ten Series M Saloon. One point two litre engine, thirty-seven horsepower - on a good day - and if I pushed really, really, really hard, I could almost touch fifty-eight miles an hour. Acceleration? A Champion could blow my doors off. Easily. Chick magnet? Don't make me laugh. But I loved that car. I've mentally bruised my backside many times for selling it. Here's an example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/3098593976/

Am I nuts?

Terry

Flashback
11-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I really don't know what you all might be saying. I was 66 in October, and I have, in the past,
driven a L-88 427 Corvette, ridden Harleys many years, and had a pony tail. Now, I have had a
Studebaker, of some kind for 55 years, since I was eleven. Last season I drove my Son's
Mustang Cobra, with nitrous, for a mid nine second run in the quarter. Maybe yall should pull
a couple of your plug wirs off, so as you would feel better. LOL

bob40
11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Back in the day,kids and early 20 somethings were buying GTX's,442's,GSX's and 428/9 Mustangs.These were the highest horsepowered cars with the best in luxury appointments.Sure you could buy a Roadrunner,Cutlass,Skylark and base Mustang but if you had the bucks people could and did buy a muscle car with the works.A fellow here in town returned home from the service in 1968 and bought a 1968 Hemi GTX convertible and still has it.He wanted the top of the line.
I can hear the conversation in 1947...guy owning a 85 hp flathead ford wondering why anyone would buy a 110 when 85 was enough.
Another point.I would hate to think that any of our Studebaker bretheran who bought R2 or R3 engined vehicles bought them as "compensation" and what does that say about those who own them now?

Nelsen Motorsports
11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Sir, I may tell you that there is no such thing as too much horsepower, it is when the car becomes overkill for the street, i.e. 14:1 compression, .620 .620 cams, 5000 rpm stall converters.... Now boat loads of horsepower can be controllable, all depending upon weight ratios. You can't expect to have a 2,800 pound car with 500 horsepower unless it is mid engine, and you can't have a 6,000 pound truck that has only 100 horse power. My friend, a Cadillac is a heavy car, making horsepower acceptable and controllable.

Then again, the hot rodder in me says, LETS STUFF THIS HEMI IN A STUDEBAKER!!!

silverhawk
11-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Thank you Alex! I knew we got along well..... :D

jlmccuan
11-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I have an R2 and my daily driver is well over 500HP, too. Speculate all you want, but I'll be grinnin' with my foot on the right pedal. Would I die without it, no. Is my life better with it, you bet.

Bob Andrews
11-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Now, I just KNEW you guys'd be all over that hanging curveball<GG>

That makes sense Bams, but I am certain that you've never measured your customers to verify this, so I will take the definition as a 'presumed' or 'assumed' fact. :) With that stated, your wife must certainly appreciate that you drive an underpowered mini-van. Right? :) lol

Yes, Brent, we go strictly on the Honor System here. Which includes presumption............ as I said it doesn't apply to everybody, but you can just tell when it does;)

And for the record, I have a 4-door Lark with a 6-banger. And it has a skip;)

So if I told you that John Holmes drove a Corvette, where would that take us?:mad::cool:

Bob

To a place I of which would have NO understanding<G>

Guess that explains why I've always liked VW Beetles and those little 4 cyl diesel jobs, huh?

Well played, sir. If we believe you.<GG>

Another point.I would hate to think that any of our Studebaker bretheran who bought R2 or R3 engined vehicles bought them as "compensation" and what does that say about those who own them now?

Naw, now guys buy 'em for their uniqueness. And that's all. Sez this R2 owner.

I have always wondered what would make one buy, say, a Super Lark new as opposed to a Big 3 offering in 1963 or 4. Wasn't price. All I can figure is brand loyalty to the extreme?

N8N
11-27-2010, 06:46 AM
too much horsepower, or simply not enough traction? :)

nate

klifton1
11-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Interesting thread. Don't know what I'm trying to compensate for. I'm 70+ and my stable still consists or an R2 Avanti to a MG TF, with a couple of hot rods in between. My bikes go from a late model 1300 cc sport tourer to a 47 chief, with a couple of turbo bikes in this group also. All these machines are driven or rode regulary, except in the winter months. Horse Power, I don't think you can ever have to much but it may not be necessary at all times.
Klif

studegary
11-27-2010, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=

I have always wondered what would make one buy, say, a Super Lark new as opposed to a Big 3 offering in 1963 or 4. Wasn't price. All I can figure is brand loyalty to the extreme?[/QUOTE]

In 1964, I was a Studebaker fan and owned a 1953 Commander Starliner with a 1957 Golden Hawk engine and a 1961 Lark Regal with V8. When I bought my new car that year, I purchased a 1964 Fury hardtop with the hipo 383 and Torqueflite, along with other options. There wasn't any Studebaker that was comparable (R3 with a lesser AT) at less than $1000 more ($1000 was a lot when the cars in question were $3000-$5000). I put 35K trouble free miles on that Plymouth in ten months.

Dads Baby
11-28-2010, 12:05 AM
.....this much horsepower. There is a commercial running on a local tv channel promoting the new Cadillac coupe. It mentions that the car has 566 horsepower!! Why? Who would ever need that much? That's crazy.

Terry

2008 Bugatti Veyron 1001 horsepower! Top speed of 253 MPH! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140480113868

Why?

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2010, 12:54 AM
2008 bugatti veyron 1001 horsepower! Top speed of 253 mph! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...m=140480113868 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=140480113868)

why?

Because the 1001 hp is mostly a selling point..
Because the Germans weren't going to just flat out give the 253 mph Guinness Book of World Records title to the American made SSC Aero that easily when they heard about it(the recently revised SS version was capable of 267 mph on Top Gear), which also makes it the fastest car on the planet
Because it's a supercar, and not meant for the common peasants among us...
Because it's home is on places like the Nurburgring
Because it's a supercar
Because the Germans were fanatical about precision and aerodynamics to get the car to perform at its best
Because it's a supercar
Because they could
Because the last man(Gordon Murray) to bash the car about it's top speed got the ride of lifetime and was thoroughly impressed with the engine and transmission in the car.
Because it's a supercar
Because the over the top engineering in the vehicle allows it to accelerate to that speed
Because Bugatti decided years ago, in it's last incarnation that its automobile production would be concentrated to improving one or two model lines, which was the Veyron, and sell to the affluent type.
Did I mention it's a supercar?

I also adore making constructive use of the passing lane, and having the thrill of the buttocks dyno in the driver's seat, with my grossly overpowered 300 hp Lark on the interstate, because I like a cheap thrill and I like the Autobahn style of driving(either use it or move over :p)

studegary
11-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't currently own anything with more than 300HP, but whenever BMW, Jaguar, etc. offer me their 400 plus HP models to drive, especially on tracks like Lime Rock or Monticello, I don't refuse the offer and totally enjoy the day.

(S)
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Why would anyone need.......

Terry

I know.....IS that awesome or what!!??!!?? Keep in mind Cadillacs have been tearing up the tracks for years now, they have traction control settings, rev limiters and high tech suspensions to keep it down on the ground. These cars are something else. You should go drive one.

Dads Baby
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I also adore making constructive use of the passing lane, and having the thrill of the buttocks dyno in the driver's seat, with my grossly overpowered 300 hp Lark on the interstate, because I like a cheap thrill and I like the Autobahn style of driving(either use it or move over :p)

Trust me, I love the fast lane! I really love being shoved into my seat when the pedal is dropped! 300 HP is a lot of fun...600 would be a blast! 1000? Save it for the track! Today we saw a Shelby GT500 on the highway. He was cruising just under the speed limit in the right lane. I have a lot more respect for him driving like that instead of unleashing the beast endangering us all.

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
In the case of the GT500, there's another aspect to that question, which also falls under that horrible "R" word(Responsibility).

"So you're vehicle has 1001 hp(such as the Veyron), are you capable of driving the vehicle in a responsible manner, so as not to endanger yourself or anybody else around you?"

A number of these cars have a learning curve to them, because of the engineering and the behavior of the car under certain circumstances. If you don't figure out how the car will behave under those conditions, or learn the ways of handling it, you will find yourself in a ditch, a horrendous accident, or consistently spinning in circles. I've heard some of these stories particularly from the folks who first bought a mid engine car, and think that it will behave in the same manner as a front engine car. They forget that since the engine is toward the rear, the front may become somewhat twitchy, which may make the car handle extremely quick.

One of the other things that was forgotten is these days, the high horsepower cars are also targeted toward a particular group of people. The cars are aimed at a particular demographic in the population. Most of the factory built cars, especially the ones like the Veyron, are aimed toward the weekend racer, affluent types. In effect most of those cars are the big boy's toys, the factory built hotrod for the guys who couldn't or sold them off when they were younger.

Mark57
11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Here is an example of someone with too much horsespower paying the consequences...
http://www.canada.com/Health/Ferrari+impounded+forfeited+after+street+race/3877674/story.html

Or, here is another recent example of someone with too much horsespower...
http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/campbellrivermirror/news/110673889.html

Now I know that many of you will tell me that these incidents may have happened with cars that have much less HP, but we all know that more horses = more temptation. :rolleyes:;)

I have found that 210 HP works just fine for me! :D:cool:

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Now I know that many of you will tell me that these incidents may have happened with cars that have much less HP, but we all know that more horses = more temptation. :rolleyes:;)

....and yes I have seen it happen. Our police blog in paper has one or two of them a week where the guys a little younger than me were clocked at those speeds in the Civics, Preludes, and Neons. The end result was the same, they go to jail, and the car either goes to impound or became part of the DARE fleet. This goes back to what I said about responsibility, especially when it comes a Ferrari or a good lot of those supercars. With those buggers you might as well paint a bullseye on the hood.

Steve T
11-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Hm. So this is why my lowly Lark 6's manufacturer code on the registration paperwork is STUD.

:-)

(Have to admit, I do really, really like the new Caddy coupe, though...)

S.

dictator27
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is an example of someone with too much horsespower paying the consequences...
http://www.canada.com/Health/Ferrari+impounded+forfeited+after+street+race/3877674/story.html

Or, here is another recent example of someone with too much horsespower...
http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/campbellrivermirror/news/110673889.html

I have found that 210 HP works just fine for me! :D:cool:

Mark

I saw both stories on our local news. Even though they apparently came close to hitting a pedestrian, by choosing Mount Seymour Road they at least picked one which would have had very few people on it because it is in a provincial park. I think they were more interested in testing the high speed handling abilities of the cars since the road is narrow and winding with a number of switchbacks in it. The police did chase them, but all they really had to do was close the entrance to the park because there is no other way out. They only needed to wait for them to come back.

As for the new driver, what would have happened if he had tried to drive through Duncan at that speed? Any time I've driven through town on the highway it has always been a major bottleneck and the Malahat is a beautiful drive in good weather, but in the winter it can be deadly. As it is, two people died near where the police stopped him when they hit black ice and slid into the path of a big rig.

Makes you wonder about the mental acuity of some people.

Terry

j.byrd
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I personally love lots of horsepower and torque just for the feel and occasional use, but it does have a distinct advantage if the driver uses it wisely- -check out the gas mileage for the new high-horse Vettes- - amazing !! My F-350 Diesel jumped from 19 mpg to 22 and occasionally 23 mpg after I jumped the power to a bit over 475 with a chip, straight exhaust, and K & N air filter, and then it runs like a muscle car if you want. I used to have an old rusty 61 Falcon Ranchero that I put one of the 271 Horse 289 hi-po's in, AFTER modifying it for even more horsepower, and when we moved to Texas, hauling my little truckload of possesions with my Dad following in his new Toyota Corolla (this in 1968), I got better mileage than he did. He was more amazed than me, and a bit dissapointed. So, in my mind, horsepower is an addition that has lots of benefits. I too love a quick, safe pass when on a two-lane like PlainbrownR2, and is he ever right about some of the mid-engine cars not warning you!! (like my Pantera I had) Just moved to Hawaii, and met a guy with a 579 Horse 350 stroker V-8 Porche 914, and he said his handles good tho'. BUT REAL FAST !!! later, John

Mark57
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Makes you wonder about the mental acuity of some people.

Terry

The problem is that many years ago when there was less focus on making machnines safe, most people with limited "mental acuity" failed to reach an age where they could procreate (I think it is termed "natural selection" by some folks).

An unfortunate side affect of today's improved technologies is that many of these people do now reach the age where they can (and often do) procreate thus creating another larger generation of persons with limited "mental acuity". The side affect of this is an unending supply of work for those of us employed in law enforcement and related emergency services. :rolleyes:

j.byrd
11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Ha !! Mark, that is the nicest way of saying exactly what I think that I have ever heard. Careful, tho, we mustn't offend, it's better to let them keep you in business I guess, Thanks, John

stall
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Ouch Bob, I may have to trade my Vette or grow a ponytail; maybe one of those hats with the built in pony tail!!!! I do have to admit the general truth of it though.
Murray