PDA

View Full Version : gasket material

Stude Rookie
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
It's me again. Could anyone please tell mewhat type of material or gasket is usedwhen replacing the rear fenders on my 54' Commander "K" body? Thank You,
Stude Rookie

N8N
11-26-2010, 01:25 PM
probably dum-dum, but something like thick roofing tar might be better for a driver.

nate

rockne10
11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
It was indeed dum-dum (3M ribbon caulk). From the factory, the caulk had a string that ran through it to facilitate fast installation. It will never get totally hard or brittle like roof tar might. I would stick with the dum-dum.

Stude Rookie
11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you fellas. Thank you both for your input. Where can I source the 3M ribbon caulk? It sounds as if this is what I need to use. The shop manual said to use cordite. I thought cordite had something to do with explosives or firearms but what do I know? (ZIP). Thanks again and I'll be back for more. You can count on it.
Stude Rookie

Corvanti
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
i think i picked some dum-dum up on ebay, but they do have it at my local auto paint store.

Welcome
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
It's me again. Could anyone please tell mewhat type of material or gasket is usedwhen replacing the rear fenders on my 54' Commander "K" body? Thank You,
Stude Rookie

Studebaker used GREY - Cordite strip caulking in that and a few other applications. Unfortunately that hasn't been made for awhile for automotive usage. Similar looking GREY caulking strips can be purchased in home improvement stores for sealing around windows and doors, but it's not the same stuff as I understand it. The closest thing on the market today for automotive uses I'm aware of, is 3M Strip-Calk, Part Number -08578 - BLACK.
http://tinyurl.com/nacgf9

A word of caution:
If you do use the 3M BLACK stuff on a light colored, finless "K" body, you run the risk of it bleeding BLACK streaks from under the rear fender top moulding when exposed to high temperatures.

It's YOUR car and it's YOUR call!!!

Stude Rookie
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank You Welcome I appreciate the tip about light colored paint. One of my options is pale yellow and the other is midnight blue metallic. I am up in the air on this one because I realize it's a one shot deal. My service manual also indicated a piece just in front of the stainless trim that covers the fender bolts that goes into the seam ,sealed and painted body color. I do not seem to have this piece, nor do I know what it does. Any help with this one? Thanks again,
Stude Rookie

1954khardtop
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
They're called T strips, they fill the gap between the fender and body. I think Classic Enterprises has them, maybe other vendors as well?

Welcome
11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
My service manual also indicated a piece just in front of the stainless trim that covers the fender bolts that goes into the seam ,sealed and painted body color. I do not seem to have this piece, nor do I know what it does. Any help with this one? Thanks again, Stude Rookie

Yes I ...and likely several others on this Forum ...can help you in the area described! It is a little tricky there and I've seen MANY C/K's done incorrectly in that area, so if you will allow me time to get my scanner all tuned up, I should be able to post here the Studebaker Engineering Drawings on what exactly is used ...and where it goes in that area.:cool:

Stude Rookie
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Once again I thank you for your input and any drawings, pictures. renderings and word pictures are greatly appreciated. Thanks Welcome for going the extra mile.
Stude Rookie

Welcome
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Once again I thank you for your input and any drawings, pictures. renderings and word pictures are greatly appreciated. Thanks Welcome for going the extra mile.
Stude Rookie

' Rookie, not having much luck posting the drawing and pics. on here so they will show a lot of detail. If you like, PM me with a direct email address and I'll send them to you as large file attachments.

Stude Rookie
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome I want to thank you for your efforts. I don't know if my private message got through but I am not shy about my e-mail address.
stuchev44@comcast.net
Stude Rookie

Welcome
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Welcome I want to thank you for your efforts. I don't know if my private message got through but I am not shy about my e-mail address.
stuchev44@comcast.net
Stude Rookie

Info was sent to that address in 3 separate emails. Hope you received them and were able to open.

Good luck with your project!!!;)

Stude Rookie
12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Thank you Welcome. I got them. I opened them and now I will give it my best.
Stude Rookie