Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'53 Commander Hood Ornaments Were an Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Commander Hood Ornaments Were an Option?

I have seen a small number of '53's with a Studebaker hood ornament, but a vast majority have none. Does this mean it was an option?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

It was a option, much to the displeasure of Brook Stevens, along with a long list of other gee haws that distract from the styling in my opinion.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It was a option, much to the displeasure of Brook Stevens, along with a long list of other gee haws that distract from the styling in my opinion.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

A hood ornament, along with a lot of other things, were options on the '53s. Bob Bourke, the designer of the '53, did not like a hood ornament or the quarter panel trim/emblems on the cars. He did not have them on his personal car and I removed them from cars that I owned.

I think that JDP/John was confused when he said Brook(sic) Stevens. Brooks Stevens wasn't involved with the design of Studebakers at that time.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

A hood ornament, along with a lot of other things, were options on the '53s. Bob Bourke, the designer of the '53, did not like a hood ornament or the quarter panel trim/emblems on the cars. He did not have them on his personal car and I removed them from cars that I owned.

I think that JDP/John was confused when he said Brook(sic) Stevens. Brooks Stevens wasn't involved with the design of Studebakers at that time.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The 53 Brochure shows a hood ornament similar to the 52 hood ornament and they show it on several SEDANS in the brochure. I have never seen one of these on a real car. The 53s I have seen with a hood ornament have one like the 54s.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The 53 Brochure shows a hood ornament similar to the 52 hood ornament and they show it on several SEDANS in the brochure. I have never seen one of these on a real car. The 53s I have seen with a hood ornament have one like the 54s.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I sold one of those longish 53 ornaments on ebay a few years back. Didn't get much for it for as nice as it was. Of course, who'd wanna add that glitz to such a pretty car???[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I sold one of those longish 53 ornaments on ebay a few years back. Didn't get much for it for as nice as it was. Of course, who'd wanna add that glitz to such a pretty car???[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The 1953 C/K hood ornament (Strat-O-Style) was the spear with a loop (wing) around it. Bob Bourke didn't want a hood ornament, but Raymond Loewy liked hood ornaments (and a lot of other ornamentation). Keep in mind that Studebaker dealers liked a large number of options because they helped the profit margin on cars. The dealer net price was $4.95 and the list price was $8.25 for the C/K hood ornament. There was also an adapter kit to mount the C/K hood ornament on sedans (in addition to the sedan hood ornament mentioned by lstude/Leonard). As late as 1999, when selling new cars, I had customers ask for hood ornaments to be installed on their new cars.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The 1953 C/K hood ornament (Strat-O-Style) was the spear with a loop (wing) around it. Bob Bourke didn't want a hood ornament, but Raymond Loewy liked hood ornaments (and a lot of other ornamentation). Keep in mind that Studebaker dealers liked a large number of options because they helped the profit margin on cars. The dealer net price was $4.95 and the list price was $8.25 for the C/K hood ornament. There was also an adapter kit to mount the C/K hood ornament on sedans (in addition to the sedan hood ornament mentioned by lstude/Leonard). As late as 1999, when selling new cars, I had customers ask for hood ornaments to be installed on their new cars.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

As I was typing it, the name even sounded wrong, must have had a GT Hawk on the brain.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                        64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert-63
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

As I was typing it, the name even sounded wrong, must have had a GT Hawk on the brain.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                          64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert-63
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Are you talking about the Tri-Star hood ornament?
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

I have seen a small number of '53's with a Studebaker hood ornament, but a vast majority have none. Does this mean it was an option?
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Are you talking about the Tri-Star hood ornament?
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X