'52 LC went from $5000 to $2500 2 days ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '52 LC went from $5000 to $2500 2 days ago

Not a bad looking car. I asked for pix. We'll see.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2076694505.html

John

Received this letter:

Here is my honest description of all the defects:

It runs fine and the engine hums really nicely. The only mechanical problem it has is that sometimes when you turn the car off after you have been driving a while, it will crank but it won't start. Once the car cools down it will start again. It might need a new ignition? Spark plug wires? Any other problems are body-related. I bought the car in 1981. At that time, the right rear fender was already bondoed. Now that fender is deteriorating. The right front fender was replaced after someone ploughed into it, but they could have done a better job fitting it on. The paint on the roof is coming off and there is an area of rust and a white area. There is a little rust on the fender. The interior headliner is gone (it fell down), the front carpet is gone, and so is the piece below the rear window that seals the car off from the trunk. There is an area of decay (rust?) on the driver's side floor where it has a few small holes. The clock doesn't work but the radio is working. The seats have had seat covers since 1952, so the original upholstery is underneath, but the foam in the seats is drying out. The steering wheel is cracked, and the front driver's and passenger side windows are cracked. It does not have a sideview mirror which was an add-on in those days anyway. The driver's side door will fly open if you don't close it properly. It needs new wiper blades.

The owner's name is Victoria. She's owned the car since 1981, so she surely knows all the maladies. She sent pix but very small, probably phone pix. Really hard to tell much. I think the 1st thing I'D do if I got it would be to change the lock parts on the driver's door. But after all, it is 58 years old. I've known a few 58 year-olds that left their fly open.

But, darn it, the CLOCK doesn't work! I mean, what's a Land Cruiser without a working clock? (Can we say "fuse"?)

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Still no mention of what engine/trans.?

I'd love a LC, and prefer the 52s. Way to little info for me to take a chance on, sadly.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A Land Cruiser is a Commander, so it would be a V8.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

True, Gord, IF it's the original engine. Among the many bits of important info we don't have.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It's automatic.

John

Comment

The only mechanical problem it has is that sometimes when you turn the car off after you have been driving a while, it will crank but it won't start. Once the car cools down it will start again.
              This description should tell you, Bob, that the car has it's original engine. Vapour lock is a common problem with the early V8. As everyone knows, the gas will boil in the fuel pump, especially if it has the glass sediment bowl, as it's located on the top of the motor. An electric fuel pump would solve the problem.

All the same, I think the price still a bit high. Since there's bodywork problems, peeling paint and interior issues, the car needs too much for the price asked.
              Last edited by studeclunker; 11-25-2010, 09:09 AM.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I am the owner of this '52 LC, John gave me the link. It has the original V8 engine and the original automatic transmission. It does have the glass sediment bowl on the fuel pump. I am willing to negotiate on the price. I have had the car for nearly 30 years and want it to go to a good home where it will be appreciated and maybe even restored.

Comment

Victoria, please email me your phone number mbstude@gmail.com

I know a lady in northwest Florida who is looking for a not-so-perfect '52.

Comment

Working...
                  X