Underseat Heater help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underseat Heater help needed

Hi Guys and Gals, I have a '52 Commander that I traded my Ford Ranger pickup for (an obvious "Trade Up" for me......lol) and nearly everything I've found out about it convinces me I'm way ahead on this deal. For example: Engine seems to have been recently rebuilt (as the PO told me) it carries 50lb oil pressure at cold idle, it carries between 110-120 compression accross the board. Clutch and brakes feel like new (as PO stated), new radiator, one rust hole ( in drivers rear door and rocker (about the size of an orange), no rust in floor, and new interior. But all I can find of the Under-seat Heater is the pan that the heater core sits in, and the core itself. Is there anyone out there that can send me pictures of the entire set-up as it looks when being taken apart from under the seat. Also, is there anyone that might have the parts for sale that will allow me to complete this installation? I sure will appreciate any help you might be able to give me. Thanks

Jerry

Perhaps these two images will help.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would think that any used Studebaker parts vendor would have what you need... and at a fair price. I think I saw two or three of the tubes in South Bend last May. Then all you will need is the flex hose and two large hose clamps.

Comment

Can you get us images of your underbelly and your right inner fender area? It will let us know what you have and don't have in the way of the Climatizer system...

Comment

Well, from the pix supplied by FBL, I think I have a big part of what I need. Just to be on the safe side, I'll get the parts I have together and get some pix (after the Holiday rush of course) and try my luck at posting them on here. Thanks FBL, for the quick posting of the pages showing just what I need. One silly question though (or maybe 2.........lol), does this heater do a good job of keeping the car warm (This is going to be our family car when done, year round, and if this doesn't do too good a job of heating, then I may replace the entire system when I put AC in it)!?! What size (diameter, not length, I can see the length is somewhere near 50ft) heater hose do I need and any suggestions as to where best to buy it in bulk...................lol.? And last question (for now), it looks to me like the panel that covers the heater core is flat, would the heater core provide more heat if the panel under the seat was actually higher, thereby providing more volume of warm air availabe to the blower motor? And doesn't the air tend to cool before it gets to the interior of the car and to the windshield? I quess what I'm really trying to find out is; is this design of heater worth the extra effort nesc in scrounging parts and getting everything working or would it be best to just get one of the heater/AC units for under the dash? I mean, this car isn't original in a lot of ways already and I can't afford to restore it to all original state, all I want to do is fix it up and make it our Daily Driver family car. Opinions welcome, let me know what you think of this heater, is it worth trying to make work, or should I go with an alternate system that's not original but is reported to be less work?

Comment

It sounds like you're looking at the heater airflow backwards. The blower up front pulls in air thru the fender vent, then pushes it back to the heater core. The air is heated as it passes up thru the core under the seat. The defroster for the windsheild has its own heating core. I would think the stock system would be fine for your Tenn. winters.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

When your cooling system is working properly, and all your ducts in good condition, that heater is capable of keeping you warm in some pretty harsh conditions. Under the seat, there should be a defector that assists in distributing the warm air to the front and back.

One deficiency I found when I had a GT Hawk with bucket seats and a console, (sold it in 1988), was in getting good heat to the driver's feet. The transmission hump, four speed, and console served to block good warm air flow to my feet. It has been a long time since I had that car so my memory of how I solved the problem is a bit faded now.

However, I recall making an adapter for the defroster heater duct that had a "Y" connector for the flex ducts that distributed warm air up to the defroster slots at the windshield behind the dash. The adapter allowed me to make another flex duct outlet that I placed against the firewall pointed at my feet. It took a good bit of work because space is limited and I had to avoid interfering with all the other stuff like wires, hand brake, and all the other stuff back there. I just can't remember exactly how I accomplished it now. However, the result was that on very cold days, using the defroster blower, I had toasty feet.

My '48 coupe, and '51 Land Cruiser have their original heater set-up with bench seats and both supply plenty of heat as they are.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Climatizer is wonderful when everything is right, but I think you answered your own question when you mentioned AC. It would be much easier to go with a simple dash heater as a temporary installation. Then later on, convert to a 12 volt electrical system and install a Vintage Air combo unit or something similar.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Believe you're right Dwain, I've got the 12V changeover done, so think I'll just hold on and go for the AC/Heat combo. Since it doesn't really look like the car will be on the road this winter I don't think I need to worry about the heat right now...........................if ever. Thanks for the help, guys, I knew I could rely on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    The Climatizer is wonderful when everything is right, but I think you answered your own question when you mentioned AC. It would be much easier to go with a simple dash heater as a temporary installation. Then later on, convert to a 12 volt electrical system and install a Vintage Air combo unit or something similar.
                    I also am looking forward to A/C someday (heat not needed here in Hawaii except for defrost on our COLD 60 degree mornings - haha) so I called Vintage Air in hopes of getting info on a set up ready proven for my 53 coupe (remember "A Cool 200" Bonneville car?) and they told me they don't have a ready made package for us coupe owners and can't rememebr which components they used. Has anyone got info on a system already installed in a coupe like mine? I would prefer to not reinvent the wheel!
                    Tony in Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                    X