This is Going To Sound Stupid, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Going To Sound Stupid, but...

where the heck is the control for the windshield washers on a '61 Lark? I know that my car has 'em, since it's got a bottle full of glass cleaner under the hood and little tubes sticking out just in front of the windshield. I don't know if this is factory stock, or aftermarket, but I can't find any mention of it in the manual, and I cannot find any button, knob, toggle, etc. anywhere in the front of the interior that mentions "Washers". How do you use the darn things? Where I live, we get some massive insects and swarms once the weather warms up, so windshield washers quickly become an essential part of the vehicle!

pitbulllady

'Probably a manual pump washer system. Look for a little pedal, foot operated, located on a pivot screwed to the firewall, just above the dimmer switch inside the driver's compartment. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Probably a manual pump washer system. Look for a little pedal, foot operated, located on a pivot screwed to the firewall, just above the dimmer switch inside the driver's compartment. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I am not sure about 61s, but here is where the windshield washer button is located on my 64.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I am not sure about 61s, but here is where the windshield washer button is located on my 64.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The only button in the floor of mine is the dimmer switch; there is nothing like what I see on the '64, and it doesn't appear that there ever was, unless the carpet has been applied over it, but there's no bumps or irregularities there, either.

pitbulllady

Comment

The only button in the floor of mine is the dimmer switch; there is nothing like what I see on the '64, and it doesn't appear that there ever was, unless the carpet has been applied over it, but there's no bumps or irregularities there, either.

pitbulllady

Comment

There's two kinds of actuators for this, both foot-operated. The button-type is shown in Leonard's post above; there's also a pedal-type that looks like a miniature parking brake. If you've got one of these, you'll know it because your actual parking brake should be hand-operated!

As a last resort, you may need to trace the wires (or tubing) through the firewall into the passenger compartment. It's possible that someone removed the foot pedal somewhere along the way and left the rest of the gear.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There's two kinds of actuators for this, both foot-operated. The button-type is shown in Leonard's post above; there's also a pedal-type that looks like a miniature parking brake. If you've got one of these, you'll know it because your actual parking brake should be hand-operated!

As a last resort, you may need to trace the wires (or tubing) through the firewall into the passenger compartment. It's possible that someone removed the foot pedal somewhere along the way and left the rest of the gear.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope that you are looking far enough up on the firewall. It should be well above where the carpet ends. It would be unusual for someone to remove it, unless they needed it for another car. Even if they fail, they are usually just left in place. If you can't find anything to the left of the steering column, start from the other/engine side of the firewall and trace things until they end and see what you find, or don't find.

I just realized that we are all giving you answers relative to a factory option system. You may have an aftermarket system that is actuated differently. It may even be electric with a small push button, probably on the bottom edge of the dash. If this is the case, trace any hoses or wires from what you see in the engine compartment and see where they lead.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I hope that you are looking far enough up on the firewall. It should be well above where the carpet ends. It would be unusual for someone to remove it, unless they needed it for another car. Even if they fail, they are usually just left in place. If you can't find anything to the left of the steering column, start from the other/engine side of the firewall and trace things until they end and see what you find, or don't find.

I just realized that we are all giving you answers relative to a factory option system. You may have an aftermarket system that is actuated differently. It may even be electric with a small push button, probably on the bottom edge of the dash. If this is the case, trace any hoses or wires from what you see in the engine compartment and see where they lead.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'll sing in harmony with Gary. If there's not a little foot-pump think like Leonard's shown, then quite likely you've got an aftermarket setup that has a switch somewhere within reach of the driver.

BTW, there AREN'T any "stupid" questions. At least, not the ones that get asked. The ones you DON'T ask..... that's where stupid comes into play![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll sing in harmony with Gary. If there's not a little foot-pump think like Leonard's shown, then quite likely you've got an aftermarket setup that has a switch somewhere within reach of the driver.

BTW, there AREN'T any "stupid" questions. At least, not the ones that get asked. The ones you DON'T ask..... that's where stupid comes into play![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can't rememebr which car it was, but one of mine had something that looked like a half of a (small) tennis all, with lines going in an out.

Karl

Comment

I can't rememebr which car it was, but one of mine had something that looked like a half of a (small) tennis all, with lines going in an out.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X