52 Champion 6V Autolite Voltage Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Champion 6V Autolite Voltage Regulator

My ammeter discharges for 1-2 minutes when I first start the car. After that I hear a click coming from under the dash or firewall. When I hear that click the ammeter jumps back up to 0. If I turn on the heater and the lights same thing, ammeter discharges then I hear the click and the gauge needle bounces back up to 0. I suspect its the voltage regulator. Is there some type of adjustment I can do to this autolite voltage regulator to get it to preform better? I don't see anything in my manual on the Champion regulator. thanxs
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

it is a long test procedure

Its all in the book, and kind of technical. I notice this post went without an answer, so here is an easy fix:

I skip right to disconecting the battery clean all conections. Polarize the system, and re-check.

If it still has symptoms, disconnect battery, open the cover, lightly 400 grit sand the points, connect battery and re- polarize, then re-check.

Comment

Hint if you do use sand paper on the points runa piece of thin cloth through afterwards to make sure no grit is left behind.
      28 dictator
      40 commander

Comment

If after all the procedures, you still have trouble, I've got a new-in-the-box Niehoff 6V voltage regulator. If you need it, e-mail me at PackardV8@comcast.net.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Well back to discharging again. I installed a brand new Autolite voltage regulator. The battery terminals are spotless the connections are tight, the batter is new. Most everyting is in great condition everywhere on the car. Last night coming home the ammeter starting discharging going down the highway at 70mph. It was all the way over to discharge. I had the heat and defrosters on and the headlights and the radio. Shut the radio off and the heat and defrost, needle dropped to 1/2 way between 0 and discharge. Headlights still dim. Well its a 15 mile drive home, about 2 miles from the house the needle bounces up to zero, I noticed lights were brighter. Turned on heat and radio, needle stays where it normally is on zero, never flinched. What's up here? Is it the generator? thanks for any tips.
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

What I would do, give all previous advise has been followed.

Remove the generator, put it on a work bench, remove the flat steel cover on the back end.

Verify that the two carbon brushes are indeed contacting the commutator with spring pressure.

Mine was rebuilt by a reputable Studebaker dealer/mechanic. One of the woven copper wires had snagged on a support, limiting the brushes travel. When the brush wore down, it no longer had spring pressure and would contact intermittently, giving intermittent results.
            Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM. Reason: correct spellilng error

Comment

Well that was the exact problem, after a couple of weeks of erratic behavior on the gauge and various replacement parts I took your advice checked the generator and one of the new brushes was hung up by a strand of copper wire. I repaired it replaced it and everything is working great. I didn't think I was going to make it home last night, then I thought the State Patrol was going to pull me over cause of my pitiful lights. Tried everything a little bit ago lights, heat/defrost radio brakelights and no discharge needle holding steady. YEAH !! Thanks for the advice Tom ! Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
              X