This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• documentation for 1963 Avanti

I am looking for proof positive that my Avanti #R-4716 is a 1963 rather than a 1964 as the previous Illinois title stated. I need this to prove to the Minn. dept. of motor vehicles that it is indeed a 1963. Where can I find documentation and how may I get a copy of same.

R4716 would indeed have been built as a LATE '63 (some 100 plus from the end of '63 production). However, in some states (maybe more than a few) if a new car was unsold on dealer lot until after the next year's model introduction then at the time that car was sold it would be titled as if a new year's model. Just out of curiosity, why does minnesota DMV give a hoot? It may be real difficult to get this changed....you could get a copy of the Stude build sheet which would show it as a '63 as far as Stude cared, but to the DMV this may mean nothing or even less than nothing. IMHO sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie especially on vehicles more than 40 years old. There are more than a few round headlight Avantis titled as '64s. All just my opinion, of course.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

R4716 would indeed have been built as a LATE '63 (some 100 plus from the end of '63 production). However, in some states (maybe more than a few) if a new car was unsold on dealer lot until after the next year's model introduction then at the time that car was sold it would be titled as if a new year's model. Just out of curiosity, why does minnesota DMV give a hoot? It may be real difficult to get this changed....you could get a copy of the Stude build sheet which would show it as a '63 as far as Stude cared, but to the DMV this may mean nothing or even less than nothing. IMHO sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie especially on vehicles more than 40 years old. There are more than a few round headlight Avantis titled as '64s. All just my opinion, of course.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by floydjaehnert

I am looking for proof positive that my Avanti #R-4716 is a 1963 rather than a 1964 as the previous Illinois title stated. I need this to prove to the Minn. dept. of motor vehicles that it is indeed a 1963. Where can I find documentation and how may I get a copy of same.
        It depends on what you mean as 1963 or 1964.

Your Avanti was assembled in June of 1963 as part of the 1963 model year. It is considered to be a 1963 by Studebaker fans.

With that said, it may legally be a 1964.

Two Studebaker Service Letters deal with this. Number G-1964-3B of May 13, 1964, states that "Effective with R-3100, the year model designation (63 prefix to the serial number) was removed from the serial number plate." Number G-1964-3 of September 27, 1963, states "...for registration puposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

The out may be that they state "the registration year" and not the title year to be 1964.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by floydjaehnert

It depends on what you mean as 1963 or 1964.

Your Avanti was assembled in June of 1963 as part of the 1963 model year. It is considered to be a 1963 by Studebaker fans.

With that said, it may legally be a 1964.

Two Studebaker Service Letters deal with this. Number G-1964-3B of May 13, 1964, states that "Effective with R-3100, the year model designation (63 prefix to the serial number) was removed from the serial number plate." Number G-1964-3 of September 27, 1963, states "...for registration puposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

The out may be that they state "the registration year" and not the title year to be 1964.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X