1964 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti

After 46 years I have rekindled my interest in the 1964 Studebaker Avanti. I am currently looking at several with a strong interest in purchasing one of them..Is there anything special to the Avanti that I should be looking for that is particular to an Avanti of that vintage?

Special in terms of what to look for as to condition, or special in terms of originality? Do you want a driver or a show car? Give us a little info on how you want to use the car and what you like and I'm sure you will get lot's of help.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know of a 63 R2 power shift in Mishawaka In. that has a lot of work done to it. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by alkamara View Post
        After 46 years I have rekindled my interest in the 1964 Studebaker Avanti. I am currently looking at several with a strong interest in purchasing one of them..Is there anything special to the Avanti that I should be looking for that is particular to an Avanti of that vintage?
        Likewise, does it HAVE to be a 64, or is a 63 okay?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If it is, I'll jump in with a 63 R2
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a 64 with 16k original miles that i would sell. I do not know how serious you are. I can send pics
            Paul

Comment

Go for the nicest condition low-mileage '64 R2 4-speed that you can find. Even the nicest Avanti's aren't bringing big bucks these days in this crappy economy. And, you'll save a ton of $$$ on repairs and buying expensive parts. Unless you are slightly built, also look for the rare "tilt" steering wheel option. Good luck!

edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

I am serious, lease send more details and pictures. Thanks
                Ray

Comment

Thanks, your coments are helpful. I am looking for a "driver" not a trailer queen.
                  Thanks.
                  Ray

Comment

I am looking for a driver, not a trailer queen. I am on the east coast but everything that I see for sale is out west. Please send any info on available cars. Is anyone going to be at the Daytona Turkey Run over Thanksgiving? I understand that there is a good rpresantation of Studebakers at the show. I am going to be there to sell my current vehicle and looking for a 1964 Avanti (preferred) on maybe a 1973.
                    Thanks,
                    Ray

Comment

As a former Baltimorian, please send info on your '63. If interested I will be in in the Arnold area during mid Dec. Lets talk!!! You can also reply to my email at ray.piechocki@gmail.com
                      Thanks,
                      Ray

Comment

I am looking for a driver, not a trailer queen. I am on the east coast but everything that I see for sale is out west.
                        Everything worth BUYING is out west too!

Tom
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

At this the risk of starting a war .... When you say you are looking for a 64 Avanti, do you prefer round headlight or square headlight buckets ???? Early 64 production still used round until the styling switch was made ...

My Avanti is a 63 so I'm a round eye kind of guy myself
                          sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386
                          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I am looking for a driver, not a trailer queen. I am on the east coast but everything that I see for sale is out west. Please send any info on available cars. Is anyone going to be at the Daytona Turkey Run over Thanksgiving? I understand that there is a good rpresantation of Studebakers at the show. I am going to be there to sell my current vehicle and looking for a 1964 Avanti (preferred) on maybe a 1973.
                            Thanks,
                            Ray
                            What is the vehicle that you want to sell? Some of us have a primary interest in Studebakers, but also have a strong interest in other makes.

You mention 1973. That is a very low point for most any US car due to emissions and bumpers.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you're into Avanti II's, I have a friend with a pretty nice '82 model that he wants to sell.

I see you're in Savannah. The South GA Chapter had its bimonthly meeting in Savannah 1 week ago. A link to our website is under my name.

Welcome Aboard!
                              Last edited by mbstude; 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X