Hawk dash switch rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk dash switch rebuilding

I searched on this, but could not find any references. My 60 Hawk dashboard toggle switches all worked before I disassembled the car, but I'm not comfortable with just re-installing them as is since the car is getting a new wiring harness and fuse block. I do not want to have any weak links in the system. Has anyone had any experience with a company that can refurbish toggle switches?
    Steve
    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Originally posted by coyote View Post
    I searched on this, but could not find any references. My 60 Hawk dashboard toggle switches all worked before I disassembled the car, but I'm not comfortable with just re-installing them as is since the car is getting a new wiring harness and fuse block. I do not want to have any weak links in the system. Has anyone had any experience with a company that can refurbish toggle switches?
    If they were working before, you could quite likely get away with just hosing them down well with Deoxit, working them a couple times, and then letting dry before installing. If you feel the need to go farther, you could carefully pry the cases apart, remove the guts, and manually clean them and perhaps wipe some silicone grease around in there before reassembling, but there is some element of danger involved. I'm not certain that having them professionally done would be cost effective as they would likely do nothing more than the above.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate is correct, New switches are sure to be cheaper than paying to rebuild some that do not even need it!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've disassembled the switches by carefully bending the tabs on the switch case and removing the phenolic contact board for cleaning and a relube with white grease. Be careful when removing the contact board as there are small springs and small bb's in them which will fly all over your garage if you aren't careful during disassembly. The springs and the bb's are used for the switch detents so they have to be reassembled in their original positions for the switch to operate properly. Bud

Comment

Have taken one apart and unsuccessfully reassembled it - Never made proper contact in the "ON" position (had to wiggle it).
          Have also carefully drilled a small (1/16") hole in the case, being careful not to allow chips to enter the case, and then used contact cleaner and lube (from Radio Shack) - Squirted some in, using the small tube like attachment, let it run out and repeated a couple times. Brought the switch back to life. However, as stated above, that is a lot of work unless you can not obtain a new replacement.
          Also, for what it is worth, have gone thru' two new replacement headlight swithes for my '63 Hawk - They work OK at first and then make unreliable contact and need to be fiddled with - Even after installing a headlight relay to take the amp load off the switch.
          Paul K

Comment

I've done Lark one's many times. A little fine sandpaper on the contacts, throw them back together with a little lithium white and they are as good as new. Don't take them apart in the Garage, when those tiny springs pop you have to go the the junk switch box to find another. It's a kitchen table job. Never had to to a Hawk one but I am sure it is the same. I found that the white plastic handle always chipped away before they went bad, so I just replaced them. Still need to buy a headlight switch from Chuck Collins to replace a chipped one.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

When taking these apart, I have found it helps contain the springs and balls to do it inside a clear plastic bag,This keeps the small parts from running off and hiding from you!

Comment

Working...
              X