champ looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champ looking

I am going to look at a 64 champ that is "Partially restored" and running. Any suggestions on special problems to look for (i.e. Avanti hog troughs). Don't know anything else about it. A friend called to tell me about it. I am just looking for something to drive and play with and don't really want another can o'worms. I'll get Pictures if posible.
    Thanks
    Rob

Bring something with a magnet in the tip. Run it along the body. Paint can hide areas where whether Bondo is in small quantities to fill small impressions. Bondo can also be used in place where it was literally injected molded to fill large areas or close gaps that have been literally gone or rusted out. These areas may also look like they will have waves in the paint or body. You should also check to see the cab corners are solid, that there are no holes. There should also be a bed that are no rust holes, and the bed is solid. Either of these areas should not have rust or Bondo.
    The engine should not have excessive clatter. Excessive clatter, of course, could meant lots, but one of the biggest is ping, rod knock, or the solid lifters are not set or gapped. Excessive blue smoke is burning oil, excessive black is running too rich,and excessive white smoke means cooling.
    These are probably a couple, at least, some of the bigger ones. Look it over pretty good, listen to it pretty good. Rather than go into the specifics, it sounds like we might be off to a pretty somewhat pretty good start. We might also need further details on whatever else is out out of sorts . Other than that, we may need some sort of pictures before going nuts . I know I do.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Bring something with a magnet in the tip. Run it along the body. Paint can hide areas where whether Bondo is in small quantities to fill small impressions. Bondo can also be used in place where it was literally injected molded to fill large areas or close gaps that have been literally gone or rusted out. These areas may also look like they will have waves in the paint or body. You should also check to see the cab corners are solid, that there are no holes. There should also be a bed that are no rust holes, and the bed is solid. Either of these areas should not have rust or Bondo.
      The engine should not have excessive clatter. Excessive clatter, of course, could meant lots, but one of the biggest is ping, rod knock, or the solid lifters are not set or gapped. Excessive blue smoke is burning oil, excessive black is running too rich,and excessive white smoke means cooling.
      These are probably a couple, at least, some of the bigger ones. Look it over pretty good, listen to it pretty good. Rather than go into the specifics, it sounds like we might be off to a pretty somewhat pretty good start. We might also need further details on whatever else is out out of sorts . Other than that, we may need some sort of pictures before going nuts . I know I do.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

This is it. v8 4sp [img]][/img]

Comment

This is it. v8 4sp [img]][/img]

Comment

Mapman, I know of a very nice '62 for sale in Wilmington, NC. It is a wonderful truck. If interested email off the forum

Joe Roberts
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Mapman, I know of a very nice '62 for sale in Wilmington, NC. It is a wonderful truck. If interested email off the forum

Joe Roberts
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I'm looking a little closer to home. This one turned up about a half mile away. It would be an adventure though, driving 3000 miles in an old Champ. I'm in North Idaho.
                Rob

Comment

I'm looking a little closer to home. This one turned up about a half mile away. It would be an adventure though, driving 3000 miles in an old Champ. I'm in North Idaho.
                  Rob

Comment

[)]It doesn't look too bad. What did the floors look like? Be sure to pay close attention at the areas around the body mounts under the cab floor. Do they have the front bumper? Asking price makes a big difference. I can tell you that you're NOT going to enjoy any long cruises with a 4spd set up.....the engine will turn too many RPM's. About 50-55 mph to be safe. Pictures appear to be a 6 1/2 foot bed, right? Again, it's all about price on one like that. If you get it, ditch those reverse rims. That's going to make it steer like a John Deere Tractor.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]It doesn't look too bad. What did the floors look like? Be sure to pay close attention at the areas around the body mounts under the cab floor. Do they have the front bumper? Asking price makes a big difference. I can tell you that you're NOT going to enjoy any long cruises with a 4spd set up.....the engine will turn too many RPM's. About 50-55 mph to be safe. Pictures appear to be a 6 1/2 foot bed, right? Again, it's all about price on one like that. If you get it, ditch those reverse rims. That's going to make it steer like a John Deere Tractor.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

The floors had been replaced, patches welded in. it does have the short bed. bumpers are gone. I still haven't talked to the owner. I'm trying to decide what to offer. If I get it the 63 cruiser will have to go.
                        Rob

Comment

The floors had been replaced, patches welded in. it does have the short bed. bumpers are gone. I still haven't talked to the owner. I'm trying to decide what to offer. If I get it the 63 cruiser will have to go.
                          Rob

Comment

My, isn't it... red. A nice looking truck all round. Looks like they did a good job on it. Does it come with bumpers?

Hey, Steve, shouldn't that Studebaker lettering be mounted on the bottom of the grille? Didn't they offer a chromed front bumper for the '64s?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My, isn't it... red. A nice looking truck all round. Looks like they did a good job on it. Does it come with bumpers?

Hey, Steve, shouldn't that Studebaker lettering be mounted on the bottom of the grille? Didn't they offer a chromed front bumper for the '64s?

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X