Brake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Question

I have a 64 Lark Challenger, converting to a V-8, wanting to remain as stock as possible, I have the parts for an 11in. front drum set-up. I know most Dana 44's are 10in. brakes, but have scored a 3.54:1 package(R-2) car rear end with 11in. drums (plus sway bar and traction bars), my question is can I make this work-11in. drums on all four corners. I had a 70 Dodge Charger years ago with 11in. drums all the around-so I'm thinking it's possible-enlighten me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

My 48 has 10 inch all the way around. I put a adjustable equalizer on the brake line going to the rear.

Comment

Front Disc. type Rear Drums vs Std. Front Drums

Your rear brakes will be a bit weak because the Disc. Brake rear drum setup you have is WAY different than your Bendix style adjusted Front brakes which are self energizing.

Those early Truck type eccentric adjusted rears deliberately are NOT self energizing and were designed to use only with the high line pressure, Full Power assisted front Discs. which are without an equalizer valve.

It COULD work fairly well, I don't know of anyone who has ever tried a mismatch like that.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The rear is out of a 64 Hawk, so if it could work, what would it take to get it there? Or should I search for front discs?

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Challenger View Post
          The rear is out of a 64 Hawk, so if it could work, what would it take to get it there? Or should I search for front discs?
          It should bolt right in, of course to do it right you should buy some Traction bars. Or if you have them, maybe someone will sell you just the frame brackets to mount them.
          And if you had a model 27 axle before, the driveshaft is a bit too long, and maybe too small (weak) and will need to be shortened or replaced. Also the parking brake cable and brake line will not fit the different backing plate and wheel Cylinder.

I would use that great rear axle, but would either get the correct 10 inch V-8 rear brakes or change the front to Disc. using a Turner Disc Brake conversion kit and adding a dual Master Cylinder that fits a Power Brake Unit, adding it also.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2010, 06:01 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have acquired 10in. brakes, a complete set from backing plates to the drums. I wanted to use this rear because the traction bars are already on it, including the sway bar. I just thought there might be a way to have larger brakes in back too. Thanks for your help! I also checked with a mechanic friend of mine, he said the car would want to do an a** around while trying to stop, so 10in. it is.
            Last edited by 64 Challenger; 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I have a stock Stude disc setup left over from my Avanti, well I dont have the
              rotors back YET, but I am supposed to get them. Wheel cylinders need to be
              rebuilt, etc. Actually, I have two sets of disc wheel cylinders if you felt like you
              wanted to keep the 11" rears and upgrade the fronts to Stude discs.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Tom,
                I can get a disc brake set-up off of an R-1 parts car I have access to, but the car has been sitting outdoors for the nearly a dozen years-so I know it's ALL in need of refurbishing.
                I have 11in. drums for the front that are like new, along w/NOS shoes-yeah the toxic asbestos ones, and backing plates that are in excellent condition. I'll change out the 11in. for the correct 10in. on the rear.

Comment

I would get the complete brake setup from the R1, as a matter of fact, I
                  know of someone that needs a booster assembly. You might get lucky if
                  the brakes didnt get moisture in them and the cylinders are good. Discs
                  are better then drums regardless, with most cars on the road these days
                  being able to stop from 60 in less than 130 feet, drums are a liability.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                  X