Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CASO CALLING ? (front V8 brake shoes...11 inch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASO CALLING ? (front V8 brake shoes...11 inch)

In keeping with the holiday spirit, and my unwillingness to dump any more $$$ into this winter beater (63' Cruiser), I'm calling for front used brake shoes. My linings are down to ZIP. I would like to buy someone's used shoes that have some meat on them so as not to ruin my drums. I'm also tired of installing new shoes and taking 2K miles to "arc" them in. I doubt I'll put that many winter miles on this car anyway...As long as the linings are attached and not water or oil soaked, I'll buy them from you, including any "core" charge you wish, and send you my cores. I can arrange pickup in Reedsville. I'm also thinking of buying used motor oil that you drivers are dumping out for winter storage. Since this car dumps 1-2 qts / 100 miles, I'd like some oil with ZDDP, and with around 1500-2000 miles of good, hot summer use........gotta be gallons of it going to the re-cycle pot with everyone dumping and setting up for the winter......So...give an old caso and a real Stude driver some legs this winter. ...:-) (reminds me of the old Stude days.....)

Beyond CASO

I think maybe it's time to put LIMITS on CASO, Jack!!!!!!

Maybe we need another Senate or House Bill! Yeah that'l fix it!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jack, by coming out in public, you've made all CASOs and everyone named Jack proud!

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I'm sorry, but brakes are simply too important and critical to scrimp on. Even the best brakes are barely good enough. If you have to install shoes, get a set of relined, turn the drums if needed, make sure the wheel cylinders are fine...rebuild if necessary, and make sure everything works.

Saving money is fine, but that ranks with separating 2-ply toilet paper to make a roll last longer.

I hope this is a joke so the joke is on me.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I'm with these guys, Jack. Bring your shoes to Reedsville. Have T-bow take them back to reline. You'll have them back in less than two weeks.
          Better to have a car that won't start than a car that won't stop.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post

Saving money is fine, but that ranks with separating 2-ply toilet paper to make a roll last longer.

I thought I was the only one who did that!!

Comment

You guys are wimps... A couple layers of fresh duct tape on those shoes and it should be good to go.... Red-Green can't be lying?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Just make sure it's 90mph tape if you drive fast and you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  In keeping with the holiday spirit, and my unwillingness to dump any more $$$ into this winter beater (63' Cruiser), I'm calling for front used brake shoes. My linings are down to ZIP. I would like to buy someone's used shoes that have some meat on them so as not to ruin my drums. I'm also tired of installing new shoes and taking 2K miles to "arc" them in. I doubt I'll put that many winter miles on this car anyway...As long as the linings are attached and not water or oil soaked, I'll buy them from you, including any "core" charge you wish, and send you my cores. I can arrange pickup in Reedsville. I'm also thinking of buying used motor oil that you drivers are dumping out for winter storage. Since this car dumps 1-2 qts / 100 miles, I'd like some oil with ZDDP, and with around 1500-2000 miles of good, hot summer use........gotta be gallons of it going to the re-cycle pot with everyone dumping and setting up for the winter......So...give an old caso and a real Stude driver some legs this winter. ...:-) (reminds me of the old Stude days.....)
                  I don't believe this one. This is the absolute NEW definition of CASO! They are $55 a relined set! Delivery included to Reedsville from SI
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

A month ago I was quoted 27.00 for relined 11" shoes in Sac. Doing the oil wouldn't be as bad.

Gordon

Comment

Hey I'm in Sac who did you get that quot from?

Comment

My local Napa store gave me the quote. They go through Capital Clutch and Brake Inc. in Sac.

Gordon

Comment

I agree with everyone else, relined shoes aren't that expensive. That said, why take a chance on installing marginal parts in a brake system to save money when your life and the lives of others depend on them to work properly. Bud

Comment

Check with Jim Yurner. I think I gave (left on his table LOL) him a complete V8 front drum /backing plate assembley 2 years ago at the swap meet.He might still have them!

Comment

Well, there are used brake shoes, and there are used brake shoes. The rule to judge them by should simply be this, and be honest with yourself: if these shoes were already on the car, and I pulled the drums to do a brake inspection, would I feel safe in leaving them there to drive the car another few thousand miles? Judge them to the same standard you would if you were a mechanic doing a customer car in an independent shop. (I know some shops will change out perfectly-good brake linings. I mean the kind of shop where they try to give the customer his money's worth.)
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X