Underhood colors for 61 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhood colors for 61 Hawk

I dropped the pieces of my engine off at the machine shop this morning. Looks like out of two engines I should have enough good parts to rebuild one.

Now I want to start cleaning the rest of the parts and getting them ready for paint. From the cars I have seen, I believe the parts should be colored as listed below. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Engine - silver
    exhaust manifold -natural cast iron
    valve covers & oil cap - orange
    generator and air cleaner housing - black
    fan schroud - black
    radiator - black
    battery tray - black
    fan - orange

Of the black parts, what should be gloss and what should be satin / semi-gloss?

What color should the bell housing and transmission be?
    What color for the steering gear box?
    What color for the defrost motor housing / cover thing?
    What color for the windshield wiper motor / bracket?
    What color for the bellcrank and throttle linkage?
    what color for the water pump pulley and generator pulley?

Thanks to all.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Originally posted by wdills View Post
    Engine - silver
    valve covers & oil cap - orange RED/ORANGE
    fan shroud - black
    radiator - black
    battery tray - black
    fan - orange RED/ORANGE

Of the black parts, what should be gloss and what should be satin / semi-gloss? -ALL SIMI-GLOSS except Air Cleaner -Gloss

What color should the bell housing and transmission be? Aluminum Silver
    What color for the steering gear box? -Black
    What color for the defrost motor housing / cover thing? -Cad plate
    What color for the windshield wiper motor / bracket? -Cad plate
    What color for the bellcrank and throttle linkage? -Cad plate
    what color for the water pump pulley -Silver and generator pulley? -Cad plate, some are Black, may be factory replacementsThanks to all.
    This should pretty much do it, you had most correct except the Orange, it is the darker of the two Chevy Red/Orange Engine Enamels from Duplicolor, NOT Orange like a Dodge.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the quick response StudeRich.

Do most of you use a duplicolor type high temp spray bomb paint or can you get high temp engine colors mixed at a auto paint supplier?

Has anyone ever used the spray paint that Eastwodd has that is supposed to look like cad plate? If so, how did the final product look?
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

I think a few people may have it custom mixed, but doubt Auto Enamel would be as high temp as Engine Enamel, most of us are not going to go to the trouble. The spray cans in High Temp Ceramic Engine Enamel work very well.

Nothing will stay on the center Exhaust port of the head and Exhaust manifold for long short of Ceramic Baked/Plated the same goes for the center heat port on the Intake. I coat those areas with VHT Black manifold paint before top coat of Engine Enamel.

Yes, I use the Eastwood cast Iron Gray on the Exhaust and their Bare Aluminum and Cadmium color are very good correct looking, though VHT or Duplicolor makes most of them for less money.

Now that I think about it, the only iffy engine item color on a '61 is the FAN, I know all '58-'60 V-8's were Aluminum Silver, and I don't see why a '61 would not be the same, as it's also a Silver Engine.

I think there may be some controversy about that, the '62 to '66's were Red/Orange and some of those could have been used on late '61's. Also, sometimes there were part shortages and Parts Depot Stock was used, in that case, they would be as received from the Manufacturer as all replacement parts were, and NOT painted with the Engine, that happened for sure on some of the Oil filler Caps.

Is anyone the ORIGINAL owner of a 1961 Studebaker V-8 who knows?
        Neither I, nor my parents were rich enough for me to have a new one, graduating from HS that year!
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The fan is originally the silver, although I painted mine to match the valve covers. I obviously was't the original owner of mine (I'm only 17), but the engine came in original shape to me, although very very very dirty
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The fan is SILVER... matching the block. An AC-equipped car with a 5-blade fan is painted Black.
            The oil fill Cap can be Silver or Red-Orange. (black on early 6-cylinders)

Note- the silver bellhousing is just overspray.. not really "painted". The 4-speed transmission (case) is black with overspray on the aluminum tailshaft. The top of the 4-speed tailshaft seemed to get a good coat of black- while the underside is very weak. An automatic transmission seems to be painted better- and is completely silver.
            Last edited by Studeman; 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM.
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Our 61' has a silver fan.
              Dean

CLEM

Comment

1961 was so unique for so many things. I'm not sure how many engine & component painting practices were carried over to 1961 from '59-'60, but in 1996 when I first started working on the '59-'60 engine and component colors, I referred to the Aug. 1990 Fred Fox article for some of it, like the oil pan which could be silver, or black. I emailed him back then for clarification on some of the article's unmentioned parts. IIRC, he said to find the actual factory photographs and shop manual photos (not the airbrushed, or artist rendered & augmented pictures from many parts of the shop manual) so I used this one below from my '59-'60 ONLY shop manual.

There are also other areas in the body section that seems to also show the fan as black, not silver. This picture is a 1959 to 1960 V/8 engine up to #13000 with the four bolt valve covers. Anyway, I am not so sure that all early '58 to '60 V/8 fans were silver. Throw in mid-year changes every Lark and Hawk year and it's really a never say never situation for some things. Good luck.

This is a very, very low mileage '60 Lark from the Glendale Int'l meet. It was cleaned up paint-wise for the engine, but I think the owner mentioned that it was accurate as to how it was found. I'm not sure about that fan pulley, though. I've only seen original ones in silver.

Last edited by barnlark; 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I dropped the pieces of my engine off at the machine shop this morning. Looks like out of two engines I should have enough good parts to rebuild one.

Now I want to start cleaning the rest of the parts and getting them ready for paint. From the cars I have seen, I believe the parts should be colored as listed below. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Engine - silver
                  valve covers & oil cap - orange
                  fan schroud - black
                  radiator - black
                  battery tray - black
                  fan - orange

Of the black parts, what should be gloss and what should be satin / semi-gloss?

What color should the bell housing and transmission be?
                  What color for the steering gear box?
                  What color for the defrost motor housing / cover thing?
                  What color for the windshield wiper motor / bracket?
                  What color for the bellcrank and throttle linkage?
                  what color for the water pump pulley and generator pulley?

Thanks to all.
                  To revive your former post:

Craig

Comment

Yea, the stuff I couldn't see in the photos of the former thread prompted this one.

Need a little clarification on the parts that should be cad plated. I have seen a gold looking and a silver looking finish and both are called CAD plated. Which is correct on a Stude?

Also, does anybody make a high temp primer to go under the engine paint or do you guys just spray the paint directly on the block and other engine parts. I plan to use epoxy primer on the parts that don't get hot but not sure what to do with the block.

Thanks
                    Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Yea, the stuff I couldn't see in the photos of the former thread prompted this one.

Need a little clarification on the parts that should be cad plated. I have seen a gold looking and a silver looking finish and both are called CAD plated. Which is correct on a Stude?

Also, does anybody make a high temp primer to go under the engine paint or do you guys just spray the paint directly on the block and other engine parts. I plan to use epoxy primer on the parts that don't get hot but not sure what to do with the block. Thanks
                      Appears you are really going to paint your Hawk CORRECT!!! And to do so, the only way I'm aware of getting it all "CORRECT" is by going directly to "THE" source; Studebaker Engineering's Paint Production Book for 1961 models. You can get yourself a copy from the SNM Archives. You would ask for a copy of: Studebaker Engineering's Paint Production Book, P-6100

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Thanks
                        Cad-Plate is a dull silver, The "GOLD" is really Yellow-Zinc, and regular Zinc is a bright silver. Real cad-plating tends to oxidize and look old fairly quickly. Regular Zinc looks better.
                        I prefer Zinc for items such as bolts, washers, clamps, etc. For show-cars, I use Cad plated throttle bellcrank and all linkages, the trunk latch and hood lock-plate. For "drivers" I like the looks of zinc better.
                        Last edited by Studeman; 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM.
                        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Interesting! according to your "other post" that Craig noted the car may not even be a correct '61 Hawk anyway! Maybe it just had an interior change, I hope you can get it back to all '61 again.

Possibly the only way to be sure, is to read the "secret" serial number on the frame.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I solved the problem of it not being a correct 61. I bought another 61. I am using the car referenced in the original post as a parts car now. I hope to build 1 out of the 2. The original car had better sheet metal, the new car is better mechanically. I don't plan to build it exactly the way it came from the factory. I am adding Turner front disc brakes and an AC system. The original exterior color was desert sand so I plan to change that as well. Under the hood it will look fairly stock, except for that new AC compressor.

Anyone ever use the VHT "FlameProof" paint line that is rated for 2000 degrees? They have a silver in that paint and I was thinking of using that on the engine. Maybe it will stand-up to the heat on the side of the head and the center intake port. Any experience out there with this stuff?

Thanks again for all the feedback.
                            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

That may last you a year or two, but most RUST though before or after they burn through. Be sure you follow the instructions to "burn" it in a half hour in the oven, half hour out, THREE TIMES!

I have the new improved Silica/Ceramic VHT 1000 Degree in Nu-Cast Iron Gray, planning to "stink up" the house baking it. If you have a "significant other" it is best done when she is away.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X