Good read.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

The Autoextremist is a great read every week. This was just a matter of time. Studebaker was never in the area of being able to complain about being number 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The Autoextremist is a great read every week. This was just a matter of time. Studebaker was never in the area of being able to complain about being number 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That's what they get for tossing Oldsmobile out. It was the oldest vehicle name in the USA except of course STUDEBAKER. NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

That's what they get for tossing Oldsmobile out. It was the oldest vehicle name in the USA except of course STUDEBAKER. NT

Neil Thornton
          Hazlehurst, GA
          '57 Silver Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '51 2R16 dump truck
          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

This thread will likely generate a lively discussion. There are a few shades of Studebaker, here, most having to do with a coddled workforce and somewhat confused management[V], as was Studebaker's beginning with planning the 1953 models. [:I]

One thing Studebaker had to contend with is similar to GM's; a press eager to report Studebaker's misfortune toward the end, save perhaps some in the automotive press that tended to be kinder, like Motor Trend.

Here's what's bugged me about Toyota's rise in the last decade: product limitations underreported by the general press. True: Toyota actually recalled more vehicles in 2006 than they built!

Here's the almost well-kept secret about one of the biggest recalls in automotive history. We are talking serious business here, [u]entire engines</u>; not the need for a redesigned exhaust system hanger to reduce vibration between 40-45 MPH!

3.5 million vehicles, for Pete's sake!

Can you imagine the press this would get if it was GM with such a problem? Yeow! [}] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This thread will likely generate a lively discussion. There are a few shades of Studebaker, here, most having to do with a coddled workforce and somewhat confused management[V], as was Studebaker's beginning with planning the 1953 models. [:I]

One thing Studebaker had to contend with is similar to GM's; a press eager to report Studebaker's misfortune toward the end, save perhaps some in the automotive press that tended to be kinder, like Motor Trend.

Here's what's bugged me about Toyota's rise in the last decade: product limitations underreported by the general press. True: Toyota actually recalled more vehicles in 2006 than they built!

Here's the almost well-kept secret about one of the biggest recalls in automotive history. We are talking serious business here, [u]entire engines</u>; not the need for a redesigned exhaust system hanger to reduce vibration between 40-45 MPH!

Can you imagine the press this would get if it was GM with such a problem? Yeow! [}] BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I sure wish I'd known about this; is it too late for Toyota owners to file a complaint? I had to totally replace the engine in my '97 RAV-4 due to this exact problem; it gave no warning other than for a couple of weeks prior to completely locking up the lifters starting making a ticking sound, making the car sound like a diesel-powered vehicle. It had regular oil changes and everything; when the mechanic who pulled out the old engine to put in the new took out the oil pan, it and the valves were full of that sludge. The oil light was not on, since it primarily indicated lack of oil pressure from the oil pump, and this was not the problem. Needless to say, this was expensive, and the thing that bothers me most is that the replacement engine is the exact same kind as before, from a wrecked vehicle.

pitbulllady

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Comment

I sure wish I'd known about this; is it too late for Toyota owners to file a complaint? I had to totally replace the engine in my '97 RAV-4 due to this exact problem; it gave no warning other than for a couple of weeks prior to completely locking up the lifters starting making a ticking sound, making the car sound like a diesel-powered vehicle. It had regular oil changes and everything; when the mechanic who pulled out the old engine to put in the new took out the oil pan, it and the valves were full of that sludge. The oil light was not on, since it primarily indicated lack of oil pressure from the oil pump, and this was not the problem. Needless to say, this was expensive, and the thing that bothers me most is that the replacement engine is the exact same kind as before, from a wrecked vehicle.

pitbulllady

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Comment

I'm not a Toyota fan, but the huge recall begs the question - Who else would have the guts (and money) to recall? The bean counters would have voted NO, I expect.
                    /H

Comment

I'm not a Toyota fan, but the huge recall begs the question - Who else would have the guts (and money) to recall? The bean counters would have voted NO, I expect.
                      /H

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

I remember reading about when the president of GM at the time in 1958 was asked if he was trying to drive the independents out of business. He responded by first asking back "When did you stop beating your wife?", and then stated if he was thinking of S-P, and how it wasn't GM's fault about their mismanagement; they put themselves there, etc.
                        Here we are almost 50 years later. Will the president of Toyota say the same thing about GM when asked the same type of question by a bunch of reporters? Only in this case, Toyota has actually tried to help GM, starting with NUUMI plant in 1985, but GM still stubbornly stood with its 'can do no wrong' mindset.

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

I remember reading about when the president of GM at the time in 1958 was asked if he was trying to drive the independents out of business. He responded by first asking back "When did you stop beating your wife?", and then stated if he was thinking of S-P, and how it wasn't GM's fault about their mismanagement; they put themselves there, etc.
                          Here we are almost 50 years later. Will the president of Toyota say the same thing about GM when asked the same type of question by a bunch of reporters? Only in this case, Toyota has actually tried to help GM, starting with NUUMI plant in 1985, but GM still stubbornly stood with its 'can do no wrong' mindset.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X