X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Damage on a 1963 Lark 2 door

I have a chance to buy
    Joe
    Last edited by irish; 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

I think because it is soooooo common on 2 dr. Sedans with the 13 or 14 ga frame, especially V-8's it is just typical and not anything to worry about UNLESS you see obvious frame and front sheet metal damage from a fender bender.
    Look at the "should be" factory electric spot welds in the hood opening between the inner and outer fenders, that will tell you if it has been wrecked or had a outer fender replacement.
    Understand it is not proof positive of anything, because there are many possible reasons for it, that may or may not be a deal breaker, but the combination of that, the frame cracks and other things about the front end COULD BE!

I do know from actual experience that front end collisions will speed along, or cause the cracks. High mileage is another cause.

Also check the Serial Number for a real V-8 car, it should be a '63V, if it's a '63S, RUN the other way!

At that price, everything else being good, like a real full-flow '63 259, you still can't lose.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That looks repairable, either by fixing that; or splicing on a new section. I think the best question would be are you up to doing that, or wanting to farm it out?
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Depending on your skill and energy level...I would say the damage is not a deal killer. If you have a welder, it is an opportunity to make it stronger and better than Studebaker did. There is another thread where a fellow poster stated, " Studebaker never spent a dime where a nickel would do." I love that quote. It could apply to a lot of products that were made to sell and break so you would buy a replacement.

If the 63 is similar to a 60, with less than 20 major bolts, you can take the front clip off the car. Drop the suspension and weld reinforcement plates in the frame. If you like making something out of nothing, this could be a fun project. If you have to hire everything done by others, my advice would be to pass it by.

Regardless, I would try to point out the problems to the current owner and use them to negotiate the lowest purchase price possible. Good luck and have fun!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm a diesel engine rebuilder/mechanic by trade. I'm comfortable with a welder and I'm not afraid of 'diving in' when comes to fixing anything on a car. I plan on doing most if not all of the work myself, but I personally have never made this type of repair and was wondering what to expect and if any special equipment would be needed to check frame alignment etc.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            you can take the front clip off the car. Drop the suspension and weld reinforcement plates in the frame.
            There you go. With it stripped down it will be easy to assure that everything is lined up, like puzzle pieces. Line 'em up, tack weld, then reinforce with plate. You shouldn't have any problems.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

What Bob is saying can be said like this. Remove the engine/transmission, front clip and suspension. Support the body at the A pillar, with the front frame unloaded, without stress. remove the cracked plate pieces, Grind, saw or chisel them off. fabricate new plates out of 10% thicker steel, saw with saber saw or cut with plasma torch. clamp and weld in place. (I've drilled 5/16 holes to weld through to emulate spot welds and welded along the edge seam) put the car back together and enjoy it forever. Yeah, you may have to realign the front end.

Comment

What Bob and Tom said.

Comment

As stated, remove the front sheet metal, use a shop manual and get the frame measurements! This will give you reference points, on a full frame car + or - 5mm is within factory specs (ok, at least on the new stuff) LOL before you do anything, drill a small hole at the end of the crack. This will help preventing it from cracking from that point! Use a good wire welder and be sure that you have good penetration, also use a good weld through primer, that will put the zinc back into the weld, and "help" keep it from rusting. To me, it's a very easy repair, but, I also have been in Collision Centers all my life!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Would this car happen to be blue? The damage looks similar to a car named Carl. We watched it go from Bob Peterson's to John and Tracy Smith's place (where it acquired the name), and from there to George King (jr.) in So Cal. Has Carl changed hands again?

By the by, if you're going to pull the front clip anyway, do it first, then remove the engine/tranny. It's MUCH easier.
                    Last edited by studeclunker; 11-11-2010, 08:51 AM.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Would this car happen to be blue? The damage looks similar to a car named Carl.
                      This car is a 1963 Lark, Clunk!
                      The Smith's car was a Blue '60 Lark 2 dr. Sedan.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ron,
                        The "60 Lark that my son got from John & Tracy is now in Grants Pass.
                        We have donor frame that will replace the damaged one next spring.
                        George King
                        Grants Pass, Oregon
                        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Working...
                        X