Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44 pinion seal replacement

Hi,
    I'm installing a '63 TT dana 44 in our '53 Commander, and would like to know, can the pinion seal be replaced without removing the entire assy and changing the crush sleeve? If so, what would be the proper way to do so and maintain the proper torque on the nut?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by Lebster View Post
    Hi,
    I'm installing a '63 TT dana 44 in our '53 Commander, and would like to know, can the pinion seal be replaced without removing the entire assy and changing the crush sleeve? If so, what would be the proper way to do so and maintain the proper torque on the nut?
    Thanks!
    Use a pneumatic wrench to pull the nut off. I used a steering wheel puller to get the u-bolt hub off and then tapped in the seal.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Dana makes a special tool to 'hold' the pinion yoke while torqueing the pinion nut.
      I made one from a rectangle of 1/4" steel plate.
      Drilled a big hole in the center to clear the pinion nut socket, and then drilled 4 holes to bolt it to the yoke where the u-bolt(s) slid in.
      Welded a piece of tubing to it that was a tad longer than the torque wrench handle.
      Works good.
      Or.......
      For $18, you could snag this from Amazon.com and amaze your friends!
      http://www.amazon.com/Pinion-Yoke-Holder-Ratech-18001/dp/B003H0ZH4E

HTIH
      Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No crush sleeves on Studebaker dana's. make the special tool to hold the yoke then torque to required torque (important).
        Originally posted by Lebster View Post
        Hi,
        Thanks!

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
        X