Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• article comparing V-8s of the fifties

I found this very interesting

Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.

Enjoy, Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

If you scroll down a little ways you will find a weasel.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

That is interesting.

Scroll down the pages and there is an article "Taxi up Misery Mountain" about a guy who runs a year round taxi service up Mount Washington. He's got a bulldozer, a Sno-Cat and and Weasel. The Weasel is the fastest (and there is a nice picture).
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Oh yes,, Those were the days !!

Anyone wanta guess the makes of the engines on the opening page ??

My guess counterclock wise from the top:

Buick nail head
        Dodge red ram
        Ford passenger car
        Caddie
        Chrysler fire dome
        Chrysler (again)
        Ford truck
        Stude
        Then further down the awesome Helio Courier (flies backwards if you're so inclined)

Oh in the engine picture , Oldsmobile Rocket
        Last edited by benaslopoke; 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love Popular Mechanics from the '50s and '60s, it seemed that nothing couldn't be solved without the application of some sort of atomic material!

"Radiation slows fungus"
          "Fuel costs slashed by Atomic Heater in Plutonium-Plant buildings"
          "Radioactive tire test quickly measures wear"
          "Mock up watches tell time, date and radioactivity level"

Incidentially, if you go to page 92 you'll see "Studebaker adds new line"

You just gotta love the '50s!

Comment

During the 50's in the southwest specifically the 4 corners area it was a raging fad to own a geiger counter and hunt for uranium. This was before my time but my dad tells stories of taking his 49 plymouth (remember this was long before everyone had a 4X4) and a geiger counter loading up mom and the in-laws for a picknic in the backcountry and hunting for uranium.

Originally posted by Turbopackman View Post
            I absolutely love Popular Mechanics from the '50s and '60s, it seemed that nothing couldn't be solved without the application of some sort of atomic material!

"Radiation slows fungus"
            "Fuel costs slashed by Atomic Heater in Plutonium-Plant buildings"
            "Radioactive tire test quickly measures wear"
            "Mock up watches tell time, date and radioactivity level"

Incidentially, if you go to page 92 you'll see "Studebaker adds new line"

You just gotta love the '50s!

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thanks for posting this. It took me a while to get around to reading it and clicking on the link. After a little wading through the pages (and many side trips down memory lane) I managed to get to page 252 to read the rest of the article.

I sure would like to find a bucket full of those $65 four barrel carburetors that would give you an extra 10 horse power the article mentioned. However, back then $65 was a lot of money.

It was about a year or two after this article that my older brother went to a Sheriff's auction and bought a '48 Mercury two door sedan with a blown flathead V8.(I mean blown-up, not supercharged.) I think he paid only about $35 for the car. The car had been confiscated in a chase. Story was that the car was on a bootleg whiskey run with 100's of gallons of fresh brew in the trunk and back seats. The suspension was beefed up like a truck. The engine let go during the chase on the winding mountain roads. I went with my brother to old man Horton's combination trailer park, coal yard and junk yard. He negotiated Mr. Horton down from $30 to $20 for another flathead V8 that supposedly came from another wrecked bootlegger car.

This was my first exposure to engine swaps as I was the helper handing my brother wrenches and stuff. In a few short days, including a few annoying visits from some of his highschool buddies, my brother had a hot new ride.

For less than the cost of one of those new four barrel carburetors mentioned in that article, my brother had a whole car. It was a few steps up from the A model Fords, 39 Plymouth coupe, and old '30's Willis he had drug home in the past. Great memories!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Lotsa good reading here..........

Comment

Working...
                X