Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should one prep the front end before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should one prep the front end before?

Will be reaching out to a few places to see who will want to steam clean the front chassis and front end of my car.

Should I place a heavy tarp over the top of the engine bay to keep it from getting filthy?

As the steam wand will be underneath I still think all kinds of crap with shoot all over the place.

Any suggestions as to the proper way to steam clean?

Step Number One: Accept that there will be a filthy, cruddy mess all over everywhere.

Step Two: If the engine's in, remove breather assembly and thoroughly seal carb with plastic. Wrap distributor with plastic.

Step Three: Pressure wash underside thoroughly, then wash crud off upper areas.

Nuttin' to it!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Because it is steam and not just high pressure water.will there be less of a mess.......because of lack of a high pressure jet?
      Originally posted by Bob Andrews
      Step Number One: Accept that there will be a filthy, cruddy mess all over everywhere.

Step Two: If the engine's in, remove breather assembly and thoroughly seal carb with plastic. Wrap distributor with plastic.

Step Three: Pressure wash underside thoroughly, then wash crud off upper areas.

Nuttin' to it!

Comment

Yes, there should be less collateral mess without pressure, but the same prep still applies.

If you can get high pressure too, don't be afraid of it. Won't hurt a thing.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The steam cleaner I used to have (Clayton Steamin' Demon) sure did have a high-pressure jet. I cut a groove in a concrete floor with it once. Steam cleaners will take off grease, and crud, and any paint that isn't super well-bonded to the metal.

And any area that is not touched will not be cleaned. You can just about draw a line through the crud with them; much more of a point-source effect than with a water pressure washer.

Pressure washers have just about rendered steam cleaners obsolete in many markets, it seems. The old Clayton took a fair bit of fuss to get it set up and the fire lit. My little gasoline pressure washer? Hook up the garden hose to the supply nipple, fill the gas tank, and crank it up. Easy as pie. I don't bother with chemical or detergent in the water. Hose the engine/chassis down with an aerosol can or two of degreaser beforehand, and use the pressure washer to blast off the loosened crud.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Are you telling me a standard pressure washer will be as good or better than a steam Jenny? How can pressure water be as good as steam that melts grease? Dummies like me what to know:-)
            Originally posted by gordr View Post
            The steam cleaner I used to have (Clayton Steamin' Demon) sure did have a high-pressure jet. I cut a groove in a concrete floor with it once. Steam cleaners will take off grease, and crud, and any paint that isn't super well-bonded to the metal.

And any area that is not touched will not be cleaned. You can just about draw a line through the crud with them; much more of a point-source effect than with a water pressure washer.

Pressure washers have just about rendered steam cleaners obsolete in many markets, it seems. The old Clayton took a fair bit of fuss to get it set up and the fire lit. My little gasoline pressure washer? Hook up the garden hose to the supply nipple, fill the gas tank, and crank it up. Easy as pie. I don't bother with chemical or detergent in the water. Hose the engine/chassis down with an aerosol can or two of degreaser beforehand, and use the pressure washer to blast off the loosened crud.

Comment

The steam will melt grease, if you give it enough time on the buildup. But grease an inch or two away from the nozzle will stubbornly remain. Another consideration is that the steam cleaner creates such a thick fog, that you soon cannot what you are doing. You are forced to direct the wand away from the work for few moments to allow the fog to dissipate. Then back at it.

Having used both, I find the pressure washer to be less hassle overall. It moves the grease pretty well, if it has been pre-softened with solvent of some kind. Better yet, use a putty knife or other scraper tool to chip off the worst accumulations beforehand, then give it a zap with engine cleaner and the pressure washer. That way, you're not cleaning grease off grease.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Try Purple Power on it first, that will soften the grease and slime. I use it straight instead of diluting it!
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                X