Question for 56-61 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for 56-61 owners

Could you check to see if the rear of your front door, toward the bottom is predriiled for the early seat belts ? I know my 56 Golden Hawk was, but it might have had belts at one time. I'd like to know for my ebay ad for the early belts.
    JDP Maryland

Would the hole be hidden by the door panel?

Comment

no, the holes would be on the back edge of the door. My '55 has 'em but i never got the build sheet for it, so I don't know if it had belts from the factory.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

How about a picture of the area with the holes? Also, are you sure the holes were intended for belts, or dowel pin holes for the mold to keep the sheet metal in place during the stamping process.

Often these holes are strategically placed to perform a dual purpose. They keep the part properly positioned for forming and serve a purpose for assembly.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 61 hawk does not have any predrilled holes
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            How about a picture of the area with the holes? Also, are you sure the holes were intended for belts, or dowel pin holes for the mold to keep the sheet metal in place during the stamping process.

Often these holes are strategically placed to perform a dual purpose. They keep the part properly positioned for forming and serve a purpose for assembly.

Here's where the holes should be for the chrome brackets.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the pic. Does this apply to larks too?
              I found a box of belts and mounting hardware in my stash this past week while looking for brake parts. When I get a chance, I'll take a look and see if the mounting hardware is for this mounting configuration.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My original-paint 56 Golden hawk front doors do not have any pre-drilled holes.

BTW, looking at page 8 of the 56 accessories manual (which you can pull up on the 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk web site), it appears that the seat belts for 4-door models were attached to the door post instead of the door. Have no idea if 4-door belts were the same as 2-door.
                Last edited by black56hawk; 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

My '56 Power Hawk has seat belts in it, I'm pretty sure that the door was pre-drilled and tapped for the belts. Next time I get in my shop, I'll snap some photos in detail for you...
                  Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Thanks for the pic. Does this apply to larks too?
                    I found a box of belts and mounting hardware in my stash this past week while looking for brake parts. When I get a chance, I'll take a look and see if the mounting hardware is for this mounting configuration.
                    Not sure, but the belts are in the 60 T cab brochure. (At least air brushed in)

Here's the AC part numbers, and the option code is 80 starting in 1956

SP-50060 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, GRAY (80)
                    SP-50061 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, GREEN (80)
                    SP-50062 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, RED (80)
                    SP-50063 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BLUE (80)
                    SP-50064 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BROWN (80)
                    SP-50065 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BLACK (80)
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

My '60 Hawk does not have any holes either.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                        Could you check to see if the rear of your front door, toward the bottom is predriiled for the early seat belts ? I know my 56 Golden Hawk was, but it might have had belts at one time. I'd like to know for my ebay ad for the early belts.
                        '56 Golden Hawk here ...built date 2/28/56 ...original doors ...no Front Seat Belts option listed on Production Order ...no pre-drilled holes either.

FWIW Dept.

All 1956 Golden Hawk factory installed Front Seat Belts with a 1955 build date were GRAY in color. It was not until January 1956 build dates did non-GRAY belts appear on Production Orders.

Break-down by color of factory installed Front Seat Belts on 1956 Golden Hawks:

SP-50060 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, GRAY (80) TOTAL 961
                        SP-50061 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, GREEN (80) TOTAL 4
                        SP-50062 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, RED (80) TOTAL 5
                        SP-50063 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BLUE (80) TOTAL 1
                        SP-50064 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BROWN (80) TOTAL 6
                        SP-50065 FRONT SEAT BELT KIT, BLACK (80) TOTAL 7

Approximately 1-in-4 1956 Golden Hawks came with factory installed Front Seat Belts.

Comment

My 56 Power Hawk does not have predrilled holes.

Comment

Originally posted by dong View Post
                            My 56 Power Hawk does not have predrilled holes.
                            I may be mistaken about the pre-drilled holes, but I remember that my bracket and the screws holding on the bracket are the same color of the body...
                            Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

Originally posted by james.seagle View Post
                              I may be mistaken about the pre-drilled holes, but I remember that my bracket and the screws holding on the bracket are the same color of the body...
                              The factory brackets were chrome. BTW, thanks for the help on the holes everyone.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X