• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65/66 v-8 transmission questions

sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Section 12 of the 1965-66 Studebaker Shop Manual supplement states:
    "A Warner Gear Model T96C 3-speed transmission is used on 6-cylinder models.With this transmission,an adapter plate is incorporated between the transmission and the clutch housing.The transmission front flange has been lenghtened to extend through the adapter plate and into the bore of the clutch housing to center the transmission.
    Warner Gear Model T86 overdrive transmission is used on both 6 and 8-cylinder models.A Warner Gear T86 standard 3-speed transmission is used on 8-cylinder models."
    To the left of this is a photo that I cannot reproduce, "Fig.1-Rear Mounting on Cross Member"

Rear axle ratios on 8-cylinder cars were 3.07, 3.31 or 3.73.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
      Warner Gear Model T86 overdrive transmission is used on both 6 and 8-cylinder models.A Warner Gear T86 standard 3-speed transmission is used on 8-cylinder models."
      To the left of this is a photo that I cannot reproduce, "Fig.1-Rear Mounting on Cross Member"
      Hope this helps.
      Thanks so much for the info...of course leads to more questions:

1. Does "Fig.1-Rear Mounting on Cross Member" mean that the T86 o/d transmission is mounted to the chassis by the tailshaft housing instead 'just hanging' off of the bellhousing such as a C/K Stude?

2. How much torque can a T86 o/d take...is it up to taking the twist from a mildly powerful 283 SBC?

3. Does the T86 o/d mount to a standard Chevy standard trans bellhousing, or is this a specific 'Studebaker only' bellhousing?

4. Can the T86 o/d be converted to 'top loader' stlye of shifter?

Once again, thanks in advance for any info. Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I have a 65 Commander that has a 3sp od. It has a mount on the trans with another cross member. I think its because the GM bell housing isn't strong enough to support the weight of a hanging trans. If your heavy with the throttle any V/8 will shred a T86. Although I drove mine with a 350 4V for a few years without any problems. I did run it at the drag strip a few days also. In the T86's defense id always had a little wine in first gear when I got it. It had 3:73's in the dana 27.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          4. Can the T86 o/d be converted to 'top loader' stlye of shifter?
          Yes they can.

I never could understand why so many people THINK they want an old farm tractor top shifter! Those are the slowest thing on earth to shift, going though Neutral and you usually have to reach half way to the passenger side to reach it! What is the gain?
          I'll take a side shift conversion kit any day over those archaic things!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a chevy/Studebaker T86 OD for sale with a side shifter attached to it if interested.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses...thought I would explore this avenue before I start on my trans swap, but I think I'll stick with the T5 I have planned. Just a little concerned about the strength of it, but I know my racing days are done, I'm somewhat more disciplined than I used to be so there won't be anymore 5000 rpm launches ...I'm just too much of a CASO to spend the cash on a Tremec. Thought it might be kind of fun to play with the electric overdrive and floorshift 3 spd. Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
              X