56 Commander ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Commander ??

Is there something mounted between the dash and firewall on passenger side. I can feel something under there but can't get in to see what it is right now. I'll have to pull the front seat out first. Can't get in places like that anymore.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

glove box, defroster coil, defroster hoses, heater control valve? Any other clues as to location, shape, size?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

glove box, defroster coil, defroster hoses, heater control valve? Any other clues as to location, shape, size?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

It's not the glove box it's in the middle. I can feel some tubes sticking down I thought it was a signal flasher by the feel. It must be the defroster I had forgot about that.

Comment

It's not the glove box it's in the middle. I can feel some tubes sticking down I thought it was a signal flasher by the feel. It must be the defroster I had forgot about that.

Comment

Well, if it looks a lot like a snail with fins; that's the Defroster all right! The '56 had a separate defroster motor and coil (as did 55,54,53,52...). Your heater motor is in the right wheel-well.[B)][8] Go figure, right?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well, if it looks a lot like a snail with fins; that's the Defroster all right! The '56 had a separate defroster motor and coil (as did 55,54,53,52...). Your heater motor is in the right wheel-well.[B)][8] Go figure, right?

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks Studeclunker. There is also a old amplifier mounted under there too. The kid up the road looked under there. He said it was an antique amplifier.

Comment

Thanks Studeclunker. There is also a old amplifier mounted under there too. The kid up the road looked under there. He said it was an antique amplifier.

Comment

My 57 has the defroster mounted to the right of, and behind the glove box on the firewall. About 7 to 8" in diameter with tubes sweeping out back through the fire wall. Look under the hood, and you will see the fan motor, and tubes attaching to the heater hoses, corresponding to the inside coil and ducting.
                    Yea- big amp thing for the radio in front of the passenger seat. The "amp" comes out quite easy, with the speaker attached. Just unplug the wire from the tuner head, and disconnect the fused power supply, then look on the bottom rail of the dash for two 5/16" hex screws, remove screws, pull "amp" toward firewall, and then down. In my case, a good cleaning, and a vibrator tube, and it worked once again.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
                    Ross.
                    Riverside, Ca.
                    1957 Provincial X2
                    1958 Transtar
                    sigpic
                    Ross.
                    Riverside, Ca.
                    1957 Provincial X2
                    1958 Transtar

Comment

My 57 has the defroster mounted to the right of, and behind the glove box on the firewall. About 7 to 8" in diameter with tubes sweeping out back through the fire wall. Look under the hood, and you will see the fan motor, and tubes attaching to the heater hoses, corresponding to the inside coil and ducting.
                      Yea- big amp thing for the radio in front of the passenger seat. The "amp" comes out quite easy, with the speaker attached. Just unplug the wire from the tuner head, and disconnect the fused power supply, then look on the bottom rail of the dash for two 5/16" hex screws, remove screws, pull "amp" toward firewall, and then down. In my case, a good cleaning, and a vibrator tube, and it worked once again.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
                      Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar
                      sigpic
                      Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar

Comment

Just to add to the last post. The radio in this model is two separate pieces. So yes that probably is one of the radio components.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Just to add to the last post. The radio in this model is two separate pieces. So yes that probably is one of the radio components.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Working...
                          X