Cool product for those that buy and sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool product for those that buy and sell

I saw this product at SEMA, a good investment if you buy and sell cars. Saw the amazing demo, it finds filler and even tells you how thick it is. Helps you make a decision to buy or not, or negotiate prices if you find filler and still want the car. You can also use it show potential buyers that the car you are selling his filler free. Less than $90, would pay for itself in one use.

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

And all these years I have been using a flat, rubberized magnet sheet, to detect body filler.
    Let's see, magnet free. This product $90.
    Free vs 90. Free vs 90?
    I think I'll stick to my magnet sheet.
    This may, or may not, do a slightly better job of finding small Bondo or fiberglass patches, but my magnet (and lightly tapping any place it doesn't stick to, with a fingernail, to hear the tone of the tap) figures out the same thing.

Comment

So what about corvettes and kit cars...
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Corvettes are 100% filler! NO magnets required.
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

What's old is new again . We have a homebuilt version that's gotta be more than 30 years old. I dunno how it's entirely constructed, as it's before my time, but it consists of a magnet with an analog meter attached to it. Direct magnets are great, but what these things can tell you is how thick is the bondo, how thick is the paint, what or if any metal is underneath the paint, and so on. If it's used in an area of the car long enough, especially if the car's been in an accident, you can construct a picture of the patched over damage underneath, even before looking under the body panel.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Search for a gadget called a "Spot Rot". It was a little plastic tube, containing a magnet and a calibrated spring plus a scale. Hold it against a body panel, and the pull from normal painted metal would pull the magnet to the zero point on the scale. A layer of filler would weaken the pull, and indicate the approximate thickness on the scale.

What would really be cool is to view the car in some sort of millimeter-wave radar that would "see" right through the paint and filler, and show only the underlying metal,
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X