Studebaker continental kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker continental kit

According to 2 sources I have read, Studebaker actually did manufacture a continental kit for 1953 models and supplied them to dealers for installation. Granted, there also were after market kits used. Can anyone verify or refute this?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

According to 2 sources I have read, Studebaker actually did manufacture a continental kit
    Can you post the sources and/or links to the articles? It would make a big difference in credibility if they were factory literature/service bulletins/accessory catalogs or just an anecdote.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

According to 2 sources I have read, Studebaker actually did manufacture a continental kit
      Can you post the sources and/or links to the articles? It would make a big difference in credibility if they were factory literature/service bulletins/accessory catalogs or just an anecdote.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Unless someone comes up with either a part number or AC number, I'll stick to the not a factory option story.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
        64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert-63
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Unless someone comes up with either a part number or AC number, I'll stick to the not a factory option story.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
          64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert-63
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

These may have been installed at the factory but they were manufactured by Hudelson-Whitebone Co., 522 North Hickory St., Champain IL and 950 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco 9, CA. I have the brochure and will be happy to send pix to anyone contacting me offline. johnnywiffer at aol dot com.

Comment

These may have been installed at the factory but they were manufactured by Hudelson-Whitebone Co., 522 North Hickory St., Champain IL and 950 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco 9, CA. I have the brochure and will be happy to send pix to anyone contacting me offline. johnnywiffer at aol dot com.

Comment

Two or three different companies made continental kits to fit 1953 Studebakers. Newhouse Industries (fenders not extended) and King Sales Co. (included fender extensions) made continental kits for 1953 C/K bodies. I find no documentation of Studebaker making any continental kits. Of course, Studebaker dealers could offer and install the kits made by the other companies.

I went back and rechecked my "1953 Motoring Accessories for Your Studebaker" book by Studebaker. There is no mention of continental kits. They do cover things from windshield visor to custom designed luggage.

The 1953 (and 1954) Studebaker "Dealer's Confidential Price List" for "Factory Engineered and Guaranteed Accessories" includes many odd/unusual items, but NO continental kit.

There were a couple of styling mock ups made with continental kits, probably at the insistance of Raymond Loewy. I do not believe that they made it past 1/4 scale. Bob Bourke did NOT have a continental kit on his personal 1954 Starliner.

Paintim613 - Please provide any authentic Studebaker sources that refute my statements above. I am always willing to learn, but it will take some hard evidence to change my mind on this. For those that don't know me, I have specialized in '53-'54 C/K models since they were new and I was friends with Bob Bourke. I still went back and rechecked original Studebaker literature, rather than trusting my memory, as I usually do, before answering this item.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Two or three different companies made continental kits to fit 1953 Studebakers. Newhouse Industries (fenders not extended) and King Sales Co. (included fender extensions) made continental kits for 1953 C/K bodies. I find no documentation of Studebaker making any continental kits. Of course, Studebaker dealers could offer and install the kits made by the other companies.

I went back and rechecked my "1953 Motoring Accessories for Your Studebaker" book by Studebaker. There is no mention of continental kits. They do cover things from windshield visor to custom designed luggage.

The 1953 (and 1954) Studebaker "Dealer's Confidential Price List" for "Factory Engineered and Guaranteed Accessories" includes many odd/unusual items, but NO continental kit.

There were a couple of styling mock ups made with continental kits, probably at the insistance of Raymond Loewy. I do not believe that they made it past 1/4 scale. Bob Bourke did NOT have a continental kit on his personal 1954 Starliner.

Paintim613 - Please provide any authentic Studebaker sources that refute my statements above. I am always willing to learn, but it will take some hard evidence to change my mind on this. For those that don't know me, I have specialized in '53-'54 C/K models since they were new and I was friends with Bob Bourke. I still went back and rechecked original Studebaker literature, rather than trusting my memory, as I usually do, before answering this item.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X