Scored a ringer today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a ringer today!

I was offloading some old model 23 and 27 rear axles from the rear of my Suburban onto an old IHC Scout chassis in the back corner of the yard that I use as a rack for rear axles and similar parts.

One of these units had the axles out of it; just a housing with gears in it. I carried it around to the rear of the chassis, and gave it a heave to make it land further forward than I could reach. It landed with a crash, and a bearing race flew out of one of the axles tubes, and scored a perfect ringer on the stump of a caragana bush about a yard distant. What are the odds? I should have taken a picture!

The stump was about an inch in diameter, not too much smaller than the I.D. of the bearing race.

Nice warm day here, too. Working in a T-shirt and jeans; was all I needed to stay warm out there.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Went to sit down and tossed a pocket knife out of my way and it went right into a spray can of paint and covered me with light gray primer. A few years later did the same with a screwdriver over my shoulder and into a 2R trucks opened hood radiator. The most heart breaking one was tossing a perfect Avanti dash pad on a top shelf and holeing it with a nail sticking out of the wall.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Went to sit down and tossed a pocket knife out of my way and it went right into a spray can of paint and covered me with light gray primer. A few years later did the same with a screwdriver over my shoulder and into a 2R trucks opened hood radiator. The most heart breaking one was tossing a perfect Avanti dash pad on a top shelf and holeing it with a nail sticking out of the wall.
      Not a car related incident but JP's stories somehow made me remember the time when I was a kid, my aunt or maybe it was my grandma brought home a new beachball (I think it was a beachball but might have been something else similar). Any rate, my little sister and cousin (who were probably about 4-5 at the time) were in grandma's yard with me when the new ball was carried from the car and was gently tossed to them to play with. Wouldn't you know it but on that first toss the ball went high over their heads, landed in the grass and rolled very slowly... over to the flower bed where it was stopped by a rosebush. You guessed it, pssssst. The poor ball lasted less than a minute from the time it came out of the car until it was holed

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
        I was offloading some old model 23 and 27 rear axles from the rear of my Suburban onto an old IHC Scout chassis in the back corner of the yard that I use as a rack for rear axles and similar parts.

One of these units had the axles out of it; just a housing with gears in it. I carried it around to the rear of the chassis, and gave it a heave to make it land further forward than I could reach. It landed with a crash, and a bearing race flew out of one of the axles tubes, and scored a perfect ringer on the stump of a caragana bush about a yard distant. What are the odds? I should have taken a picture!

The stump was about an inch in diameter, not too much smaller than the I.D. of the bearing race.

Nice warm day here, too. Working in a T-shirt and jeans; was all I needed to stay warm out there.
        Gord,

Do you have any low ratio TT Dana 44 gear sets?

It sure is nice to have a warm fall day in Alberta. Glad you enjoyed it.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

How low I have a 455
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

need a 3:73 here in Houston with TT or not...

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              How low I have a 455
              Bob I've sent you private message check your notifications

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have a 4.27 model 44 gear set.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  I have a 4.27 model 44 gear set.
                  We are getting close to where I want to be, I think I want the 4.55:1 TT. Bob has one in a 1/2 housing but it's in California, too heavy to ship to my mailing address in Buffalo without me meeting it upon arrival whereas if you had one I would go visit Alberta and pick it up in the summer. Thanks anyway Gord.

Allen
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X