T-Cab Wide-box Tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Cab Wide-box Tailgate

Have a NOS tailgate skin 1656094. It needs end-caps? in order to be finished and installed; however, no reference to end-caps in the parts manual. Were they or are they available? Thanks

Bob,(my feeling is no,but does'nt mean much!) hey call SI just in case SASCO had some buried somewhere!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I assume you dont have the original tailgate. If you did it would be a fairly simple thing to drill out the spot welds & use the old end caps. I remember talking to Dennis Lambert before he moved to the engineering building when he tould me that he had thrown away the tail gate skins he had because they were so rusted. I sighed thinking I wish I had tried years before, but I didnt have my truck then. A couple years later I found one on E-bay that was a complete tailgate.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Have SI searching South Bend for endcaps, if any. Do have the old tailgate, which has been heavily worked (bondo, galvanized, etc.) previously. May try to drill out if all else fails. Thanks

Comment

My welder here in SC is making a set for me (sounds like we have the same skin). He used a pair of end caps from a hopelessly rusted tailgate I had for a pattern. It was not terribly costly. good Luck, Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Wolfie: What is the final cost, if you know, please?

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
              Wolfie: What is the final cost, if you know, please?

Mine is so cheap I wont quote it but he says $100-150 should do it most anywhere. Make sure whoever does it gets the pivots right. My welder wants me to leave him the truck before he installs those to make certain they are right. By the way, the caps on my parts truck appeared to be welded solid down the inside of the caps as well as spot welded from both the outside and inside. Reusing them after removal looked like it would be iffy even if they were in better shape. Good luck, Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info and advice.

Comment

Working...
                X