PDA

View Full Version : Original Appleton tear drop spot light question.....

silverhawk
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey guys,

A very dear friend of mine gave me something when I was inquiring about this old spot light laying around in his work area; wanting it for the '52. He in turn gave it to me, instead of selling; and told me what it really is. It is a original 6 volt Appleton tear drop spot light, and when he was growing up (during the '50s, he is a old school hot rodder :D ) having a twin set of them got you in the "in" crowd. He has had this since he was 14, and he put it on his '37 Chevy 2 door sedan that he hot rodded (His first car, rebuilt 3 times during the 50s, haha). The car is long gone, but he kept this; and he now 69. 55 years of owning this one part, and he passed it on to me. This guy is more like a grandpa really, so it was pretty touching to me.

Anyhow, the chrome is shot on this unfortunetly. I want to have it rechromed, but that is probably cost prohibitive at the moment. I was thinking though; what about carefully sanding it all down to bare metal, and then polishing the steel itself? Thoughts?

mbstude
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Pretty cool!

You could polish it to bare metal and clear it. Otherwise it would rust pretty quick.

silverhawk
11-03-2010, 12:11 AM
That is what I was thinking. Then, I could always have it rechromed sometime later. Do you think the steel would polish almost like stainless?

mbstude
11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it would. Hit it with the buffing wheel and see what happens. Unless the buffer catches it and slings it across the shop, you won't hurt it :)

silverhawk
11-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Haha, thanks for the input Matt!! And yes, if that does take a trip across the shop, I'm going to be going NUTS.......

mbstude
11-03-2010, 12:41 AM
When I first started out with the stainless, I sent more than one piece flying across the room. Hard to make any money that way.

silverhawk
11-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Hahaha! Well, I'm thinking it's going to be awful hard to throw a big steel globe across the room (I hope anyways.....)