PDA

View Full Version : In Chicago's Snotty* Northern Suburbs....

DEEPNHOCK
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
(* Warning: The use of the word 'snotty' might be offensive to some more sensitive readers)

Google and Avanti's are corrupting me:rolleyes:

http://www.homesbymarco.com/subdivision-detail.asp?intSubdivID=12967

garyash
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
There seems to be a rule that new, gaudy subdivisions must be named after what USED to be there. Examples: Fox Hill, Orchard Lane, Jones Farm Estates, Grand View Heights. You get the picture! Now, where was the old Avanti in that Illinois development...?

sweetolbob
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
From the article posted by DEEPNHOCK
The average real estate taxes in Avanti Ridge is $10,400 on all active properties.

Just think, for the average property tax you could buy a really nice Avanti or even a Studebaker every year or two.

I know, If you can afford the taxes, you can afford the cars too. It's just that my(Cheap Arse) priorities would not let me pay those sums to live where they wouldn't let me enjoy my main hobby. The care and feeding of my car jones.

Bob

kurtruk
11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I "obtained" a couple of signs from a subdivision called Starlite Place in Keyes, Ca. Went out to the garage where I park my Starlight to take a picture of it for this thread. Huh. Guess I took it down when I put a cabinet up.
BTW: You drive on Rhode Rd. :rolleyes: to get to the Starlite Place subdivision with street names like Hepburn, etc.

comatus
11-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Could be worse: when my dad's family sold off the mountain named after them in the Berkshires, developers named the new McMansion subdivision after them, with "Acres" on the end. BOMK, not one member of the family can afford [the taxes] to live on that street.

Dougie
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Why are you bashing people in Chicago's Northern Suburbs as being snotty? I really don't see the connection. I'ved in Chicago my whole life, and while the cost of living is higher, that doesn't make us "snotty". I live in a Western suburb of Chicago, and my taxes are a little over $10,000. I guess that makes me snotty too.

mbstude
11-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Why are you bashing people in Chicago's Northern Suburbs as being snotty? I really don't see the connection. I'ved in Chicago my whole life, and while the cost of living is higher, that doesn't make us "snotty". I live in a Western suburb of Chicago, and my taxes are a little over $10,000. I guess that makes me snotty too.

Jeff is from the suburbs of Chicago, so he's probably just talking about himself. :cool:

JBOYLE
11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Avanti Ridge...isn't that above Lark Valley and oil leak meadow?

Mark57
11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I'll be looking for a lot on "Transtar Terrace", "Champ Commons" or "Diesel Drive".:rolleyes:

stude53
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey, Mark
Here's the home for you.
Single Family for sale: 2225 Diesel Avenue, Santa Maria-Orcutt, CA 93458

candbstudebakers
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
My son a few years back bought a new 2 story home in Roseville, Ca. and the builder was Avanti Builders his street was night hawk circle, nice house and deverlopment but to small for my son after a few years so they moved.

DEEPNHOCK
11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
If you are from the western suburbs, you wouldn't understand the gold coast, or the north side <lol>..
(Matt's right:rolleyes:...I have some Blackhawk chapter SDC blood letted a few decades ago)
Jeff:cool:

Mark57
11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey, Mark
Here's the home for you.
Single Family for sale: 2225 Diesel Avenue, Santa Maria-Orcutt, CA 93458

Don't tempt me, we're suppossed to get a big snowfall winter here and this place sounds like a much warmer climate! :D

Dougie
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Don't mean to get overly sensitive, but when I say I grew up in Chicago, I mean the area. I've lived in the city, in Evanston and now in the Northwest suburbs, and my wife went to school and lived in Wilmette. Definitely North Shore. I'm 55 years old, have never lived anywhere else and am very familiar with the Gold Coast, North Side, Logan Square, Bucktown, Boystown, Lakeview, Portage Park, Lincoln Park, Greektown and on and on. I guess I just take offense to someone from Georgia labeling us as snotty, and following that up by telling me I don't understand the area.

8E45E
11-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I live in a Western suburb of Chicago, and my taxes are a little over $10,000.

I would sure like to know what you get for your $10K in taxes!! I hope during winter, they plow the city portion of the sidewalk in front of your house every time it snows, for example. I know if I had to pay that amount, I'd sure like to see a lot more than I do now, and I pay just under a 1/4 of that amount per year.

Craig

Bob Andrews
11-04-2010, 04:36 AM
I guess I just take offense to someone from Georgia labeling us as snotty, and following that up by telling me I don't understand the area.

Again, Jeff is FROM Chicago. Plus, he was only kidding! Come on now. Jeff is a guy that likes to have a little fun; and he's a bright guy, he's not the "jawja hick" it seems you have him pegged to be.

DEEPNHOCK
11-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I can understand that.
Coming from a Chicagoan, it makes perfect sense:rolleyes:
You can't tell them anything:D
And they can't take a joke...even a good one:p
Jawjuh redneck? Well, I'm trying, but the locals call me a quarterback.
Moved to Florida from Illinois, and now I moved a quarter of the way back.
I still have family and a ton of friends in the Chicago area, mostly in the snotty suburbs.
What they have up there that I don't have down south is Portillo's hot dogs...and snow...and ice...
(and -20 the second week in December)..
I can handle the brushback....no sweat.

<snip>
I guess I just take offense to someone from Georgia labeling us as snotty, and following that up by telling me I don't understand the area.

jclary
11-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow! If we are starting with the "Cabin Fever Nit Picking" this early...it is going to be a loooong winter!:p:rolleyes::mad::(

starliner62
11-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Jeff's from Chicago and I like him????? Something has got to change!!<G>

DEEPNHOCK
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
OK, that's 'one' still on the Christmas card list <lol>..

(and yes, I was just kidding.....but, ooohhhh, it's a tough room:p)

Jeff's from Chicago and I like him????? Something has got to change!!<G>

starliner62
11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Chicago does not sound so bad. I was raised in the "Golden Ghetto" of Atlanta, Georgia.

Dougie
11-04-2010, 11:28 PM
OK Jeff, I'll call a truce and assume you were just joking. Besides it sounds like you appreciate Portillo's, so that makes you legit. How about Superdawg? North Side / South Side? Cubs / Sox fan?

Felix Benet
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Methinks that your fan belt is adjusted a wee bit too tightly:-( A child could clearly see his post was in jest.......seems we all have to attach :-) to each post we want to be seen in a humorus light.
Don't mean to get overly sensitive, but when I say I grew up in Chicago, I mean the area. I've lived in the city, in Evanston and now in the Northwest suburbs, and my wife went to school and lived in Wilmette. Definitely North Shore. I'm 55 years old, have never lived anywhere else and am very familiar with the Gold Coast, North Side, Logan Square, Bucktown, Boystown, Lakeview, Portage Park, Lincoln Park, Greektown and on and on. I guess I just take offense to someone from Georgia labeling us as snotty, and following that up by telling me I don't understand the area.

Felix Benet
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Time to inhale the fumes of TEL fuel................:-(
Wow! If we are starting with the "Cabin Fever Nit Picking" this early...it is going to be a loooong winter!:p:rolleyes::mad::(

DEEPNHOCK
11-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Doug...
I was born in Elmhurst, raised in Itasca, went to Lake Park, owned my first house on Glenlake just half a block west of Roselle road, my first Stude was bought from the recently demolished Pabich Motors a half block east of Roselle Road on Irving Park....
Then I moved to Plato Center (Burlington/Hampshire)...then I transferred to Florida, and eventually moved to SE Georgia...All my choices.
Yeah, I know the area pretty well.
Portillo's...yes SuperDawk: not even close to Portillo's
Cub's: All the way White Sox: They're OK....but that's south side stuff.
Used to run all of northern Illinois and Lake county, Indiana...
So, I get around and know of what I speak.
No harm, no foul....
But a truce? No way, unless you buy all the beer. I hear that's how its done nowadays...

OK Jeff, I'll call a truce and assume you were just joking. Besides it sounds like you appreciate Portillo's, so that makes you legit. How about Superdawg? North Side / South Side? Cubs / Sox fan?

dictator27
11-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I would sure like to know what you get for your $10K in taxes!! I hope during winter, they plow the city portion of the sidewalk in front of your house every time it snows, for example. I know if I had to pay that amount, I'd sure like to see a lot more than I do now, and I pay just under a 1/4 of that amount per year.

Craig

Yikes!! I'm with you Craig. Once the homeowner grant comes off I pay less than 1/5th of that 10K.

Terry

Dougie
11-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow. Small world. My three boys graduated from Lake Park. The twins just this past June. I've lived in Roselle for a long time but didn't know that there was a car dealer on Irving Park (other than Friendly Ford and Wickstrom Chevy. Was it a Studebaker dealership?. I know the exact builidng you were talking about. because it looked like an old car dealership. I agree with you about Super Dawg, but my wifes likes it and it is a North side landmark with the giant hot dogs. The only issue I have with Portillos is it's a bit pricey. Last time I went there for lunch with my sons it cost $35.00. I guess it's a good fit with $10K taxes. Our old favorites were Shirl's and The Pizza Cottage. Both gone now, but you must remember those. Went to Shirl's after all the boys ball games. In Roselle, we are little more down to earth than the folks in the North burbs, but snotty isn't really fair to them, though they do have a style all their own. And for what it's worth, many homes up there have taxes in the $15 - $20K range. As soon as I retire. I'm bailing out of this area and heading for lower taxes as well. As far as the beer, let me know next time your in town and I'll buy.