Nice 52 with good question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 52 with good question

Like the car a lot but read the Q&A at the bottom; brings up a question I've always wondered: Why would people bid a couple hundred or less on an obvious multi-thousand dollar item? They know there's no way they'll meet the reserve, so what's the point? Boredom maybe?

Better yet, the first bidder opened it at 99 cents- and that was his high bid! As the question asker said- Dimwits.

Last week I went to a body shop retirement auction. There was a spotless downdraft spray booth, 6 years old, cost over $40K new. While the auctioneer was looking for an opening bid this one genius kept loudly trying to bid $10! The auctioneer ignored him while he got more animated, then finally said, "Won't even consider that, go cash your check" and continued on.

I thought, there's somebody the CASO community would love to have as a member

BTW, my high bid of $3200 on the booth was a no-sale. Good thing, then I'd have HAD to go to work I did buy a tire machine, 10 paint guns, hand tools, benches, a whole buttload of stuff
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 11-02-2010, 02:24 AM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Like the car a lot but read the Q&A at the bottom; brings up a question I've always wondered: Why would people bid a couple hundred or less on an obvious multi-thousand dollar item? They know there's no way they'll meet the reserve, so what's the point? Boredom maybe?

Better yet, the first bidder opened it at 99 cents- and that was his high bid! As the question asker said- Dimwits. ...

Nice car indeed. However, the engine appears to be a later engine. The fuel pump is not on top of the engine as was found on '51s through '54s.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I did that once when I was a kid.
      They had a local auction down at the Sportsman's Club in Barbeau, Mich.
      I had two quarters in my pocket...burning a hole..
      The auctioneer kept starting new items with "What am I bid on this x?"
      I kept shouting out "Two bits!!!"
      Of course I never got anywhere...
      So, after a few more items he holds up an armful of wire coat hangars.
      Must have been 200 of them.
      The auctioneer started, and I yelled "Two bits!"
      The auctioneer yelled "SOLD!!!"
      Shut me up, it did
      Jeff

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      <snip> While the auctioneer was looking for an opening bid this one genius kept loudly trying to bid $10! The auctioneer ignored him while he got more animated, then finally said, "Won't even consider that, go cash your check" and continued on.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well, I think that some people put little pittance bids on Ebay items like that just so they can watch the action.

Comment

The seller would be disappointed with what I could bid on that car, but if I would love to have it. Commander with overdrive, nice chrome, nothing hacked up. That would be a fine driving machine and pretty near how I would build one myself. The little touches could come later a little at a time.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            I did that once when I was a kid.
            They had a local auction down at the Sportsman's Club in Barbeau, Mich.
            I had two quarters in my pocket...burning a hole..
            The auctioneer kept starting new items with "What am I bid on this x?"
            I kept shouting out "Two bits!!!"
            Of course I never got anywhere...
            So, after a few more items he holds up an armful of wire coat hangars.
            Must have been 200 of them.
            The auctioneer started, and I yelled "Two bits!"
            The auctioneer yelled "SOLD!!!"
            Shut me up, it did
            Jeff
            How many of those coat hangers are welded into the Yellow POS? Is that the secret to its longevity?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Why would anyone care since the last bid is the only one that matters anyway? I often make low bids on E-bay items just to get them in my bid list since I am much more apt to pay them attention there than if I just add them to my watch list. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

I bid low because every now and then I actually win one!
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hey, 2 good things, the generator works and it has a really shiny set of stainless (instead of rubber) gravel guards) Won't go far--the gas tank is REALLY empty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1664045

But I'm wondering why a '51 (black) headlight knob and why the left gauge set is in sideways?

Great looking car, tho. I could find a space in my garage!

John

Comment

The wiper switch looks wrong too, but that's a small point.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X